Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckeyefan_gw

New Pressure Canner- weight spins, not rocks?

buckeyefan
16 years ago

Hello, I just bought a Mirro 22 qt canner about a week ago, and I am trying it out today for the first time. I am using 10 lbs pressure, but I do have a question- when I am trying to get the pressure up, the weight doesn't rock at all; it just spins like a top, and releases steam. I don't see anything close to a jiggle or a rock- any ideas?

Also, this is probably a dumb question, but I am assuming that you screw the weight on all the way until it sort of drops down, right?

Thanks for any help- I am so confused!

Lisa

Comments (14)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Yes, and the jiggle happens BEFORE it reaches the stage where it jets out a steady stream of steam, so you should reduce the heat so that its just BARELY jiggling to release just a LITTLE of the pressure. ALlowing it to jet out hard steam is way too high on the heat.

• buckeyefan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Should it be a steady "jiggle", or every so often- I seem to go from a spin to a dead stop if I turn the heat down slightly. I have it set right around medium on an electric coil stove to keep it moving. If I go below med, it might move ever so slightly every 20-30 seconds or so.

Thanks for your help! :)

• jenniesue
    16 years ago

I got that canner earlier this summer. The twirling really threw me since it's so different from the way my pressure cooker works.
    I've only used it a few times, so I'm not exactly an expert, but my understanding is that you screw it on the way you describe and it never really jiggles it starts spinning around.
    I looked really closely and the "jiggler" and it looks like it has to little openings on the main part and two corresponding holes on the spinning part and when the line up it releases the amount of steam it needs to let out to maintain the pressure. That description's probably not very clear, but I don't really know how to explain it.
    But I'm pretty sure you're doing it right. And if not, could someone please explain it to both of us?

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

I have the Mirro 22qt. and my weight is a round disc with holes marked 5, 10 and 15 lb. I just drop the appropriate numbered hole on the pin. It does jiggle but never spins. I also have a pressure cooker that has the round weight with a knob on the top. Occasionally that will spin as it is rocking. This is only used for cooking so am not worried about it spinning as long as the meat gets cooked.
    I can't imagine what the problem could be with yours.
    I hope you can figure out what's wrong.

• jimster
    16 years ago

Apparently this has been an aggravation for countless Mirro owners and the company hasn't done much to help.

I ran across the site linked below, which has some possible answers.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Jiggle vs. Hiss

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

About the only pressure thing I have here is a pressure fryer, and that has a weight that sits on top of a short length of pipe thats attached to the lid. The weight is held onto the short pipe by a wire clip under the weight. Once the heat gets steam to start escaping, that weight starts to jiggle a little. The more heat that the vessle gets, the less jiggle you see, and more 'jetting' of steam occurs. The jetting can continue, but usually this is an indication that tells you that the pressure is a bit too much, so you lower the heat a little until it goes back to that jiggling again, instead of the jetting. In any event, the weight is supposed to be an indication that shows you that there is pressure building up inside the vessle, and too much pressure, will vent. The description given in the link of 'jiggle or hiss', is right no as far as I can tell.

• buckeyefan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies- it seems like I am not to expect any rocking with this newer model of the control, but instead just listen for hissing. Now I am not sure if it should continually hiss, or just every so often. I did 3 quarts of chili last night, and I just let it hiss the whole time; just turned it down so it was "quiet hiss." I emailed the company, but I haven't heard anything yet.

One more question for you all- can you can 2 different jars in the same load? Ie quarts and pints together? I would assume you would just go with the time for the quarts, and the pints would be in longer. Is it possible to "overprocess?"

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

It all depends on what your processing. Some foods will turn to mush if they are over processed (over cooked). Its probably better to stay with the single jar size for a batch, but that depends on what it is, and if it can go mushy if over processed.

• trixietx
    16 years ago

I know what you mean, I replaced one of my canners with the Mirror 22 qt. and it doesn't really rock like the old canners, but when it starts hissing and the weight starts moving or spinning I start the time.
    From what I have read it has alot of safety measures, It is the only canner that I have had to screw on the weights , maybe that is why it doesn't really rock. The others I just put the weights on and wait for the rock and turn down the heat accordingly.
    But, I really like my old canners.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

I agree, I like the older model better.
    I've got a "rocker" and a "twirler" and I like the rocker better. It's easier to feel comfortable about the temp.

Buckeyefan,
    Yes, you can mix the size of your jars, process for the larger one. Like Ken said, texture may be affected though. I do it often on veggies when I get down to the very end and only have enough left for a pint instead of a quart. Or just eat it fresh!

Deanna

• franceslee
    10 years ago

here it is 2013 so probably won't get an answer...but....I used my 22qt canner today....the hissing really shook me....also, it seemed to take a long time between the 10min venting and when the actually hissing/spinning started...I wonder how much water people put in their canners....I put in 3 qts and maybe that was too much...thx for any help.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

frances - depending on what you are canning, 3" of water is the standard. Using inches rather than liquid measurements allows for the different diameters of the brands of canners.

If doing meats or other foods that require extra long processing times a bit more water may be needed.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Step-by-step guide to using a PC

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

I have 2 Mirros. One of each type of weight, disk style with the 5, 10, 15 lb. holes and the "ball" style that is 5 lb. without any additional pieces, 10 lb. with the bottom piece and 15 lb. with the top added. The ball type does tend to spin and hiss. If it's a straight hiss, turn it down, if nothing, turn it up a bit.

I start on HI (this is the equivalent of 10 on my electric coil stove), when I get to about the 8-9 minute mark on the venting, I adjust the burner down just a tiny bit (9/5). When I put the weight on (yes, the ball type is screwed on until it drops...dumbest design ever!), I adjust to 9. Once the weight starts to spin/hiss, I adjust again to 8.5. Sometimes I still need to make another adjustment a few minutes later, but on my stove, never lower than 8. YMMV.

The disk is easier, adjustments are the same...done slowly and some time between them.

Dave is right....use the 3" of water rather than a measured amount.

Deanna

• pattypan
    9 years ago

when i bought my 16 qt. presto last month, i talked to a tech person at the company. she told me to fill the canner with 3 qt's of water, which fills it to the the lowest hash mark inside the canner, regardless of what jars i use. so says the instruction booklet too. that makes the water ~1.5 inches deep. i don't know what the higher hash marks are for. do you think she (it) is wrong ??