Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
green tomatoe pickles

Posted by wiringman ZONE 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 13:58

well at least my San Marzano tomatoes have some tomatoes on them

tomoroow is sept and we very often get a frost in the first half os sept.

with very few ripe tomatoes i want to salvage something from them so i am doing green tomaot piclkes.

these are paste tomatoes and seem to be the right size.

my question is can you pickle the ripe ons?

you can pickle ripe peppers so it seems to me that you can also do ripe tomatoes.

Dean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: green tomatoe pickles

I did some green tomato pickles last year, and was told not to use anything that was even slightly blushing.

I was told by others who had doen this before me that they would not taste good, and after eating some, I would agree that the ones that were even starting to turn red have an "off" taste and texture compared to those that were solid green.

I've never tried pickling ripe ones, so I don't know if the problem is with the "inbetween" stage or not.

I've also made mincemeat and relish with green tomatoes. I live in SD, and also expect a frost some time this month. Last year we got lucky and it was at the end of the month, but one never knows so it's time to watch the weather reports daily.

o

macybaby,

Thanks for the response. i got my recipe from my cousin and it is an old family recipe. however i am not just canning but i am fermenting them.

i had to process them yesterday so i decided to use only firm tomatoes.

i used the ripe one to make a fresh salsa. i got my recipe for an old Mexican mama. However my friend Hank told me his peppers were not hot enough. so my salsa is hot goin in and coming out. my peppers were very hot. ouch!!!!

i not have four buckets of cucumbers in brine and two buckets of tomatoes in brine.

this is my third year doing fermenting and i really prefer it over the cannin thing

last yerar i did sauerkraut, dilly beans, peperonicni and cucumbers.

my friends are not bringing me buckets and spices and stuff adn want to help me when i cold pack them.

several have said "the best pickle i have ever had".

well i need to go pick and other bucket of tomatoes.

Dean

o

I have had ripe red tomatoes fermented in brine (a Bulgarian recipe). I'm a big fan of pickles but these I did not care for. I decided fermentation works best with the firmer vegetables (i.e. cucumber, green beans, etc.)

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here