Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What butane stove do you use?

Posted by marti8a DFW (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 13:58

I've been reading of the problems others have had with glass top stoves, and I'd like to try a butane stove outside and see if I have better results. I really hate the thought of canning when it's 100 degrees outside though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What butane stove do you use?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 19:16

Do you really want butane? Very expensive and the butane stoves can be difficult to refill and keep operating.

One of the many propane burners discussed in the many threads here would sere you far better IME.

#1 and #2 in the link below are the ones I use.

Dave

PS: and they don't have to be used outside. Just the tank has to be outside, not the stove.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propane burners

o

Oh I thought people on other threads recommended butane. I'm fine with propane. You use a table top stove inside? I have a propane camp stove, table top type, but when the wind blows, it blows out the flame. Dh has talked (for years) about getting a plate welded to the back to keep the wind from blowing through, but I don't know if that would fix the problem.

We also have a burner on our propane grill, but it's not level when a heavy pot is on there, so it wouldn't work without some kind of support. I'm sure that will happen as quickly as the other one.

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 19:22

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 21:13

Yeah you can use one inside as long as you have a safe table or countertop to set it on. They sell all sorts of fire-resistant ceramic and/or slate pads for using.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here