Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using a different (smaller) size jar than recipe indicates

Posted by ellen_inmo 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 14:01

I am still relatively new to canning, though I am not new to safety guidelines and the "what not to Do's". I'm finding some instructions don't get too specific on why you shouldn't do things. I understand with certain recipes, products, etc, you should not use a larger size jar, due to density. But is it okay to use smaller jars? I've made some fantastic Peach and Pear Chili Sauce (recipe via Better Homes and Gardens 'You CAN can" book, and some fabulous Amaretto Peach Preserves. I want to make more of these and other recipes as gifts for friends and family to sample. I wish to use either half pints or the 8 oz jelly jars. Please pardon my ignorance, this is undoubtedly a no-brainer for those of you at this a long long time! Is it okay to go smaller jars??Just wanting to learn the right way..... Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using a different (smaller) size jar than recipe indicates

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 14:12

Yes, you can always safely go smaller, just not larger. Use the same suggested headspace and processing time though, do not decrease those :)

o
RE: Using a different (smaller) size jar than recipe indicates

Thank you for responding! Many recipes have times for different sizes, but never mention what to do if going to a smaller size. I wanted to do this for myself also for various things that I know good n well my kids won't help me eat. Certain relishes, salsas, sauces, etc, just want to make enough for a serving for me with some leftovers. I served this chili sauce with some leftover grilled chicken, shredded up, as a sandwich. Fantastic! Like a fruity-sweet Manwich sauce, not too bbq-y and not too Italian.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here