Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thick applesauce

Posted by KSprairie 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 14:04

I BWB canned 7 qts of applesauce per NCHFP's recipe on Thursday and froze 6 qts.
It seemed like there was SO much liquid in the sauce when I was filling jars. Now that I look at the jars, the applesauce is much thicker, not runny at all when jars are tipped. There looks like some little air pockets as well.
I think I remember reading a thread here on adding lemon juice to your applesauce, but the NCHFP recipe does not call for it, so I did not add any.
Should I be concerned about the thickened sauce, air pockets, and no lemon juice??
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thick applesauce

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 14:29

The lemon juice is a relatively new recommendation. Ball Complete Book includes it NCHFP does not. Your choice for now but it also helps preserve the color so is a good thing to do.

Too thick applesauce is a common problem for many. It always needs to be thinner, more soupy, going into the jars than we think it should be. We have to force ourselves to make it thinner - put a big sign on the fridge - "Soupy Sauce -It will get thicker!!!" :)

If processed for the full time it will be safe to eat because of the natural acidity but have a shorter shelf life before darkening from the air. Mark the jars and use them up first. Of if less than 24 hours you can reprocess it and thin it out at the same time. Some use water, I use apple juice to thin mine down.

Dave

o
RE: thick applesauce

Sounds good. Thank you for clarifying. I am sure my family will eat it right up anyway. So much for saving it for winter! We will continue to process more apples this fall, so I will be sure to make my next batches THINNER and add the lemon juice.
I hope you are not tired out from all of the questions I have, Dave. I seem to have a lot recently. Thanks so much. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here