Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanner27

Canning applesauce

tanner27
10 years ago

While I'm asking and getting such great information, I should ask something I've always wondered. I do a LOT of applesauce, like 400 quarts plus depending on the year. (5 kids gobble it up daily). I freeze a lot and can a little (don't like when it turns color on top) but wondering when I put it in hit sterile jars, how long can it sit waiting for the hot water bath? Same thing for apple juice, although I've tended to save the apple juice at the side and reboiled it and bottled it at the end and then hot water bathing. I tend to have so much cooked and waiting to hot water bath so it can be such a long process

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The NCHFP site we linked for you in the other post has all this info but the basic answer is that nothing sits waiting in the jars for the canner.

The jars must go into the canner HOT, not cooled from sitting on the counter waiting. or the processing time is invalidated. The jars aren't not filled from the hot pot until they can go into the canner.

Also note - anything processed for 10 min or longer does not require the use of pre-sterilized jars. They are sterilized during the 10 min+ processing.

Apple sauce that is turning dark on top is either a) in need of a bit of Fruit Fresh or b) too thick when jarred.so exposed above the liquid level in the jar that should be there.

Apple sauce should still be a bit soupy, able to move freely in the jar with a bit of free liquid when filling the jars. Overly thick sauce keeps the heat from penetrating and cool pockets results where bacteria can grow. If it is too soupy when you open the jar then you drain it a bit after opening.

Dave

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

I have two toddlers who love their applesauce as well, though I don't make nearly that much! I use my crockpot to hold the sauce hot while waiting out the canner space and run two canners full. Is there a church near you that has some of the large roasters that might be borrowable for this task?

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

Applesauce should not be taken from the crockpot and put into the jars. It needs to be hotter than that. Most crockpots will not keep it hot enough. Perhaps electric roasters would since they can cook a turkey in them, etc. Check and see what the temperature of a roaster would be. That may be your best solution.
    As Dave said, don't fill jars ahead of time and let them sit.
    I agree about the Fruit Fresh. That, and be sure your headspace is correct. That can make the top of the jars turn dark.
    Also, check to be sure you are using the current safe processing time.

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Thank you. I did not realize that. My crockpot is an aluminum interior, rather than thick ceramic, but I will test the temps. What temp should the sauce be at for canning? I am in Denver, so temps get a bit goofy up here.

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

It should be boiling. Plus, being acidic I would not want to put applesauce in aluminum. You need a nonreactive pan like stainless steel or covered enamel ware.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Your crockpot might not be alumium, just look shiny and be a different metal. as easy way to check, see if a magnet will stick. magnets do not stick to alumium.

If you are working that much applesauce, go spend less than $40 and get a large roaster. I love all 3 of mine. Only problem I've had with them is the pan gives out after a few years, but I've found that I can order new pans (which I'm going to do). I'm thinking that since I do apples and then tomatoes, maybe that might be why they wear out faster.

I've also used the pan in the oven, cooking the applesauce/apple butter or whatever down. I make my sauce as thick as I can, but still moves freely in the jar.

My biggest roaster is 22 qt, then I have 2 others at 18 qt. That's all I want to try to do at a time. I also run 2 canners when canning BIG batches.

Definitely use the fruit fresh, I didn't for years, but this year I tried it and it's wonderful. Gives better results than just the lemon juice that I was using.

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Haven't tried the magnet thing, and you're correct, it may not be aluminum, and it is coated so I don't have to worry about acid reaction. I was actually guessing on the metal (I know it's not stainless), but just trying to say that it's a thinner metal and not the thick ceramic that most people think of with crockpot.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

All of my crockpots are the ceramic ones. The roaster is wonderful, I cooked 2 1/2 hams in it for Thanksgiving and a 18# bird in the other one. One of them even has a buffet tray insert, so for holidays, I'm set up.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

All of my crockpots are the ceramic ones. The roaster is wonderful, I cooked 2 1/2 hams in it for Thanksgiving and a 18# bird in the other one. One of them even has a buffet tray insert, so for holidays, I'm set up.

• Kerry Vetter
    10 years ago

Anyone have a peach applesauce recipe? I've never used fruit fresh in my applesauce, how much do you use?

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

You don't need a recipe, just use pureed apples and pureed peaches together, sweeten to taste, and that is all. I don't measure the fruit fresh. I just dump some in. To an 8 qt. pan I would say 1/3 of a cup or so. If it looks like it is oxidizing, just add till it is bright colored again.

• Kerry Vetter
    10 years ago

Ok thanks.