Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freeze grapes for later jam making?

Posted by greenmulberry 5-Iowa (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 14:09

So I have a source to get a bunch of concord grapes this weekend. The person who has them says they are ripe now and ready to be picked.

I sure have been looking forward to trying my hand at some grape jam! (got the recipe from the "greatest hits" thread)

Problem is, I just had my wisdom teeth taken out (and they really had to dig the buggers out!!!) and am no shape for any of this, the pain medicine really knocks me off my rocker. My friend said she will pick the grapes for me, and I was wondering if I could freeze them until I feel like I could make some jam? I read about people freezing other fruit, but have not run across it with concord grapes.

I hope that will work otherwise no grape jam making for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: freeze grapes for later jam making?

Yes you can but the end texture will be different due to the freezing - it ruptures the fruit cells so it is watery. But you can drain it and if the mushy texture - more like preserves I'd say - is ok with you it will work fine.

Dave

o

I've done it and it worked OK.

o

I do this a lot. We have Concord grapes that grow wild in the back yard. I get tired of dealing with the grapes and won't want to "play" with them anymore. So, I'll throw them in the freezer. I haven't had any problems in doing this.

o

Well, I have a batch going now from non pre frozen grapes, and I think I will freeze the rest and I will make some more batches later when I have more stamina for hanging out in the kitchen. Thanks for the advice.

Boy, those grape skins sure do stain white laminate countertops!

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 1, 08 at 8:57

I hope you dont mind me asking a related question here, Is there any reason to think that muscadines would fare any better or worse if frozen (then the concords)

has anyone frozen muscadine and used them later for wine, or jam etc?

o

For any added liquid, use frozen concentrate, undiluted. It will also add plenty of natural sweetness.

o

rjinga ,I have frozen all types grapes especially Muscadine and Scuppernongs and made wine later, NO problem...JAM I am not sure about, only because i have not tried it.....

o

Jam will be a little different than jelly. You are going to strain the fruit for jellies, because you want them clear and devoid of solid material. You want jams to contain a high fruit to juice ratio. I assume when you are talking grapes, you want the end product to be jellies and not jams. I don't know how freezing would affect trying to make jam or preserves of it, I just know that since all's you want are the liquids freezing and the ultimate cell rupture doesn't hurt jellies you make from them.

o

I do this with lots of fruits I wish to make jam and jellies with later. Since the late summer and fall is sooo busy already, I'll have more time during the winter months to make my jams and jellies. I've done grapes, wild plums, raspberries, strawberries, cherries, currants (and probably others I'm forgetting) this way. Just wash, toss in freezer bags and label. Works great everytime :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here