Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
simplest pectin

Posted by jeminijad PA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 9, 11 at 14:13

Is there any reason I have to prepare apple or lemon pectin ahead of time, and then add it to my recipe?

In the past I've done berry jams and just added apple slices/lemon pips to the recipe and sieved it out, or just put a spice bag of them in there. Am I missing something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: simplest pectin

If your way works, keep on doing it. I think many of us make and can pectin as a convenience factor - don't have to worry about having apples or lemons on hand.

I make apple pectin from the apples on my old apple tree. Birds or worms seem to get all my apples by the time they get ripe, but in mid summer, I can get lots of green ones to make pectin. So in my case, I would have to actually go buy apples the rest of the year to use your method.

o

Your method is one of the traditional options. The benefit of making pectin ahead is it can be frozen or canned for those times when apples or citrus aren't seasonal, but that's a convenience, not a necessity.

Carol

o

Thanks for the answers.

I ALWAYS have lemons, so for me, this is easiest, rather than adding another round of canning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here