Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer Squash Relish

Posted by judydel (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 14:17

Are there any delicious approved recipes making relish using summer squash? I looked on the NCHFP website but didn't see anything.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer Squash Relish

Look here for Linda Lou's Zucchini relish recipe. It can be made from zukes or yellow squash. Also you can just use the cucumber relish recipes at NCHFP and sub zukes or yellows for the cukes. All else remians the same.

Dave

o

OMG that's wonderful!!!! THanks so much : )

o
Glitch

okay so I started this recipe and now realize I will have to process tonight because I have to leave the house for the day by 7:00 AM tomorrow. Is it okay to put the summer squash/onion/salt in the refrigerator for only a few hours versus overnight?

o

12 hours is recommended minimum required to draw the water out of the squash/cukes. Many recipes call for 24 hours. You can do less if you wish but you will end up with a much soupier mushier relish. You are better off both quality and safety wise if you just let it sit 24 hours in the fridge with the salt than try to rush it.

Canning means you need to plan ahead whenever possible. :)

And be sure to rinse it well or it will be too salty.

Dave

o

"Canning means you need to plan ahead whenever possible. :)"

My plans for tomorrow were change for me unexpectedly : (

I thought it would be okay because the cucumber relish recipe from NCHFP only has you draw the water out for 3-4 hours.

o

I was searching for a zucchini relish recipe and came across this thread. I made a zucchini relish about 15 years ago that we liked. The recipe was from ball and it was sweet. I don't know if the one in the 2012 edition of the ball book is the same or not. The one I made years ago was really good! We used it the same way you would use any sweet relish. IMO it is better then dill relish and definitely better then store bought anything.
Has anyone made the recipe in the current ball book? Is it the same as before?

o

There is one in the ball blue book 2012 that only requires two hours in the salt bath.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here