Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickle relish

Posted by dinytcb 5 central indiana (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 14:19

I messed up! I meant to double the recipe for Annie's relish, but ended up quadrupling it. I am running low on pint jars. Can I use quarts? If so how much time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickle relish

Annie's Relish? There is Annie's Salsa but no "Annie's Relish". Which recipe are we talking about specifically.

In ANY canning recipe, if no processing time is given in the recipe for using quarts then you can't use quarts. You can always go to smaller jars but never up to larger jars because the density is very different and no quart processing time has been computed.

If Annie's Salsa recipe is what you are actually talking about then no, it cannot be done in quarts. No salsa recipe can be.

Dave

o

• Posted by dinytcb 5 central indiana (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 15:39

I have a recipe called Annie's relish. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullit and go buy more pints.
Annie's relish
4 C. ground cucumbers
4 large onion ground
4 green peppers ground
2 red peppers ground
1 T. salt
4 t. celery seed
2t. tumeric
1/2 t. pepper
4 C. vinegar
4 C. sugar

Combine veggies & salt & let stand for 2 hours. Drain well and add the rest of the ingredients & cook slowly for 1 hour. Pack hot into hot jars & process in BWB for 15 minutes for pints. Make 6-8 pints.

I thought I got the recipe from this site.

o

Yep, that's Annie's Grandma's Cucumber Relish recipe.

I quickly looked through a few canning books and couldn't find any relish recipes with a processing time for quarts. Mostly likely, quarts were never tested because most people wouldn't use a quart of relish quickly enough.

So the answer is yes, go get more pints or use 1/2 pints if you have some of those (same processing time), but no quarts.

o

Sorry, I didn't recall recipe as being Annie's. I have it saved as Cucumber Relish (Harvest forum). It is almost identical to the NCHFP Pickle Relish recipe and the one in the BBB.

In addition to Malna's point about "wouldn't use a quart of relish quickly enough", another reason for not doing it in quarts is the density issues. Relish needs to be packed 'soupy'/loosely for proper heat and brine penetration.

Dave

o

• Posted by dinytcb 5 central indiana (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 18:02

My DH could go thru a quart in no time, but to be safe I'll use pints, Thanks for your help Dave and Malna. Dianna

o

"My DH could go thru a quart in no time..."

I know exactly what you mean - EVERY year, I have to hear "Why can't you just put the salsa in a bigger jar, hon, so I don't have to open another one?"

My response - "Because I said so and that's all I'm going to say about that." Then I'm good for another year :-)

o

Sounds like a great recipe I would like to can! But, I'm having trouble figuring out how many cups would 4 large onions ground be - as well as the peppers. There is a lot of difference in size of the veggies.

Have you ever measured the onions and peppers in cups?

o

With all that vinegar and sugar, I'm not sure a little more/little less of those would pose any problem.

The only thing I have in my notes is 1 large Vidalia onion=about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups chopped. Ground would be less, I would think - maybe figure 1 cup per onion?

o

Agree with Malna. It is a 100% vinegar recipe. Or, unless you really want a relish that has more onions and peppers in it than it does cucumbers, you could just use one of the approved recipes referenced above that already have the measurements done for you. They call for a higher ratio of cucumbers to peppers and onions.

Dave

o

Finished my pickle relish, I have 21 pints! Hopefully I won't let the rest of the cucumbers get to big. I guess if they do they can be chicken food. I've never measured the peppers and onions, I just chop till I think it looks about right.

o

Good to know it doesn't make any difference in following "exact" amounts of onions or peppers in this recipe. It does have more onions and peppers combined than cucumbers and I just wanted to be sure that was OK.
Maybe that's why it has to cook for an hour before packing into jars.

Thanks, Dave for the reminder to pack relishes loosely.

o

Good to know it doesn't make any difference in following "exact" amounts of onions or peppers in this recipe.

I'd recommend great care in coming to that conclusion. While some small amount of leeway is allowed in some recipes, absolutely none is allowed in others, especially when working with low-acid vegetables.

Please keep in mind that while this recipe calls for straight vinegar, it is still an old recipe, made back when vinegar was much stronger than it is now.

Measuring is always recommended whenever possible and specific amounts are given in the majority of approved recipes.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here