Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dinytcb

Pickle relish

dinytcb
11 years ago

I messed up! I meant to double the recipe for Annie's relish, but ended up quadrupling it. I am running low on pint jars. Can I use quarts? If so how much time?

Comments (17)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Annie's Relish? There is Annie's Salsa but no "Annie's Relish". Which recipe are we talking about specifically.

In ANY canning recipe, if no processing time is given in the recipe for using quarts then you can't use quarts. You can always go to smaller jars but never up to larger jars because the density is very different and no quart processing time has been computed.

If Annie's Salsa recipe is what you are actually talking about then no, it cannot be done in quarts. No salsa recipe can be.

Dave

• dinytcb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a recipe called Annie's relish. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullit and go buy more pints.
    Annie's relish
    4 C. ground cucumbers
    4 large onion ground
    4 green peppers ground
    2 red peppers ground
    1 T. salt
    4 t. celery seed
    2t. tumeric
    1/2 t. pepper
    4 C. vinegar
    4 C. sugar

Combine veggies & salt & let stand for 2 hours. Drain well and add the rest of the ingredients & cook slowly for 1 hour. Pack hot into hot jars & process in BWB for 15 minutes for pints. Make 6-8 pints.

I thought I got the recipe from this site.

• malna
    11 years ago

Yep, that's Annie's Grandma's Cucumber Relish recipe.

I quickly looked through a few canning books and couldn't find any relish recipes with a processing time for quarts. Mostly likely, quarts were never tested because most people wouldn't use a quart of relish quickly enough.

So the answer is yes, go get more pints or use 1/2 pints if you have some of those (same processing time), but no quarts.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Sorry, I didn't recall recipe as being Annie's. I have it saved as Cucumber Relish (Harvest forum). It is almost identical to the NCHFP Pickle Relish recipe and the one in the BBB.

In addition to Malna's point about "wouldn't use a quart of relish quickly enough", another reason for not doing it in quarts is the density issues. Relish needs to be packed 'soupy'/loosely for proper heat and brine penetration.

Dave

• dinytcb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My DH could go thru a quart in no time, but to be safe I'll use pints, Thanks for your help Dave and Malna. Dianna

• malna
    11 years ago

"My DH could go thru a quart in no time..."

I know exactly what you mean - EVERY year, I have to hear "Why can't you just put the salsa in a bigger jar, hon, so I don't have to open another one?"

My response - "Because I said so and that's all I'm going to say about that." Then I'm good for another year :-)

• gardengal19
    11 years ago

Sounds like a great recipe I would like to can! But, I'm having trouble figuring out how many cups would 4 large onions ground be - as well as the peppers. There is a lot of difference in size of the veggies.

Have you ever measured the onions and peppers in cups?

• malna
    11 years ago

With all that vinegar and sugar, I'm not sure a little more/little less of those would pose any problem.

The only thing I have in my notes is 1 large Vidalia onion=about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups chopped. Ground would be less, I would think - maybe figure 1 cup per onion?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Agree with Malna. It is a 100% vinegar recipe. Or, unless you really want a relish that has more onions and peppers in it than it does cucumbers, you could just use one of the approved recipes referenced above that already have the measurements done for you. They call for a higher ratio of cucumbers to peppers and onions.

Dave

• dinytcb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finished my pickle relish, I have 21 pints! Hopefully I won't let the rest of the cucumbers get to big. I guess if they do they can be chicken food. I've never measured the peppers and onions, I just chop till I think it looks about right.

• gardengal19
    11 years ago

Good to know it doesn't make any difference in following "exact" amounts of onions or peppers in this recipe. It does have more onions and peppers combined than cucumbers and I just wanted to be sure that was OK.
    Maybe that's why it has to cook for an hour before packing into jars.

Thanks, Dave for the reminder to pack relishes loosely.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Good to know it doesn't make any difference in following "exact" amounts of onions or peppers in this recipe.

I'd recommend great care in coming to that conclusion. While some small amount of leeway is allowed in some recipes, absolutely none is allowed in others, especially when working with low-acid vegetables.

Please keep in mind that while this recipe calls for straight vinegar, it is still an old recipe, made back when vinegar was much stronger than it is now.

Measuring is always recommended whenever possible and specific amounts are given in the majority of approved recipes.

Dave

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Can you make this relish without the onions, and still can it?

I was looking for a recipe similar to Vlasic without the corn syrup, and found one on cooks.com but it called for cider vinegar, which I don't have. Then I found this one, but it has onions.

This post was edited by marti8a on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 18:23

• lisaincolumbus
    9 years ago

I love the Classic Cucumber Relish recipe from Canning for a New Generation. Since last year's season, however, I've discovered that onions aren't great for me. Like Marti8a, I'm also wondering if I can can relish without onions. If I replace onions with extra cucumbers, will that make it unsafe to can?

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

You can leave out the onions - you can always leave out low-acid ingredients - as long as you understand that the flavor will be changed greatly and the relish will be more soupy given less solids for the same amount of liquids. Can it soupy and then drain off the excess liquid after opening the jars.

However you should not sub more cukes for the onions - very different pH and free water content. When it comes to making substitutions, if you want assured safety, the guideline is sub like for like only.

Dave

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I made this, or one very like it, without onions and it was very good. Maybe a little too sweet but I still liked it.

Edited to add: Dh even likes it and he hates relish.

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 22:41

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

btw, do you know how long this relish will last after opening?

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler