Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preserving apples for the first time!

Posted by Christina818 7- PNW (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 14:19

Hello everyone! My name is Christina and I have been on here before but some of you may not know me. I mostly lurk on here but I have come to know there are a lot of people on here that I consider awesome and informed food preservers. Today my mom called me and told me she was in Yakima and wanted to know if I wanted apples. I ordered 2 - 30# boxes. Being the frugal person I am I couldn't pass them up at $10 a box. I consider myself a pretty seasoned preserver but one thing I have never tackled is apples. That been said the variety of apples I am getting are Galas. Please tell me what you would do with all these apples? I was thinking canning and freezing. How do you prefer to preserve your apples? Any tried and true recipes? Thank you all so much for all your help.
~ Christina ~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preserving apples for the first time!

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 17:58

Applesauce is probably the most common method and Galas make great applesauce. Canned apple pie filling would be next in popularity I think but you can also just can them plain if you don't have the Clear Jel to make pie filling with and then turn them into most anything later on. Many uses in baking.

Apple Butter is also quite popular and relatively easy to do. And of course there is apple juice and Spiced Apple Rings, frozen apple pies to bake later and turnovers.

Then if you want to get beyond the basics (see all the instructions for them at NCHFP) there is apple chutneys, fermented sauerkraut with apples, apple wine, dehydrated apple slices and fruit leathers, and pickled apples.

Dave

o

Thank you Dave. I was thinking about the apple pie filling. I don't have the clear jel but thought about freezing the filling. Have you made pie filling with apples and froze it before? If so how did the apple hold up? Do they do better canned or frozen? Thanks again!
~ Tina ~

o

Last year I made the apple pie jam and it was such a huge hit this year I will probably make 6 or more batches of it.
I cant remember where I found the recipe.
I will look for it.
kim
Also I canned a lot of apples last year and used all of mine in one year 140 pounds! Silly I thought I had enough to last several years.

o

• Posted by bcskye 5 Brn.Co., IN (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 13:54

Hi, Christina! I agree to everything already mentioned in the above posts, but my very favorite is the apple pie jam. Just Google Apple Pie Jam Gardenweb and it should pull up the recipe right away. That's how I do all of my Gardenweb searches. Back to the apple pie jam, its out of this world goodness. My husband loved it so much he said it would be great to use in pocket pies. Wish I could find a good buy on apples like you did.

Madonna

o

Thank you Kim and Madonna. Apple pie jam sounds very good! I look it up.

~ Christina ~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here