Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristadarin

Pear juice

kristadarin
11 years ago

Hi again,

I have about 13 lb of (free!) pears left, and I would love to make and preserve pear juice. However, I can't seem to find totally clear (and reliable) instructions. Can I follow the instructions for apple juice found here: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM1043.pdf?

Thing is, they say to "Buy fresh juice from a local cider maker within 24 hours after pressing." Does that mean I can use my juicer? Do I need to peel? Also, is the issue with sediment a safety issue or a question of taste?

I found a similar discussion in another thread, but that poster asked a question that hasn't been answered (and that I, too, am curious about).

"Is there a difference between a little pulp that has settled to the bottom and sediment? What would be wrong with a little pulp?"

So I guess, to put it succinctly, my question really is: Is it safe to run whole pears through a juicer, let the juice set for 24-48 hours (in the fridge, I presume), pour off clear juice, discard sediment, strain off, bring to a boil, and then can?

;)

There's not a lot of info about pear juice out there...

Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions