Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A favorite Zucchini dill pickle recipe?

Posted by KSprairie 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 14:22

Does anyone have a favorite Zucchini dill pickle recipe they would share?
I've searched the site and read back through a lot of old postings, but haven't found any yet. I found a few recipes on some food websites that looked promising, but couldn't be sure they were USDA approved.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A favorite Zucchini dill pickle recipe?

Most pickle relish recipes tend to be sweet relishes, especially so with zucchini. But you can use the approved Dill Pickle Relish recipe - linked below and substitute zucchini for the cucumbers as long as you keeps all the amounts the same.

As with all relishes be sure to avoid over-packing the jar with solids. Relishes need to be packed loosely with more liquid than some prefer but that extra liquid can be drained after opening.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Dill Pickle Relish

o

Dave,

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. I was looking for a dill zucchini recipe that makes spears or chips. I have found several sweet recipes, but not dill.

Would the Quick Pack Dill recipe from NCHFP work for zucchini?
What about their Pickled Asparagus recipe - that has a 1:1 water:vinegar ratio.

Thanks, again!

o

Yes, you can pickle zucchini just like cukes using any approved cuke pickling recipe.

Zucchini has less water in it than cukes meaning it doesn't dilute the brine as much as cukes do so longer pH stability. However, because of the difference in cellular size between the two if you slice the zukes they won't be as crispy as cukes would be. Chunks work better or use Pickle Crisp if you want firm slices.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Quick Pack Dill Pickles

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here