Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allyn12

Chicken stock, vegetable stock question.

allyn12
10 years ago

As I understand it, I can pressure can any broth/stock I make and I do not need to follow a specific recipe. The process time for chicken stock is 25 min @10lbs pressure.
Is this correct? Thank you once again!!

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I can pressure can any broth/stock I make and I do not need to follow a specific recipe.

That's a little too broad a statement as it would depend on how you made it, the ingredients and recipe used.

There are specific preparation instructions for chicken stock and different preparation instructions for other meat stocks. The processing times may not change but the preparation guidelines do.

Vegetable stocks mean different things to different people so it would depend on the amount of vegetables left in the stock as many make it very differently.

You talking about fully strained so it is just flavored water or one that is only partially strained or one that incorporated tomatoes or potatoes so it is more dense? Many vegetable broths/stocks need to be canned like soups.

This is all explained in more detail on NCHFP.

And processing time also depends on the size of the jars - 20 min for pints and 25 for quarts.

Dave

• allyn12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave. I did strain my chicken stock and cooked it
    appropriately in a pressure cooker. I chilled, defatted, and reheated to boil just prior to canning. I did not follow a specific recipe, but used the usual such as (3 lbs chicken, 5 carrots, 5 celery stalks, and 2 onions. I did use a little olive oil to sautee the vegetables first. I used some herbs and almost a whole head of roasted garlic. According to the NCHFP they stated that any soup could be used for canning. But maybe I should have used the processing time for soup, not stock. I know the extended time for soup is to account for solids. Hmm.
    It has still been less than 24 hours, so I still have the option to freeze right?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Yes you still have the option to freeze and yes if you are going to add all that then the soup processing time would be better to use. Density isn't the only issue, pH too is an element of processing time required and all those additives are low-acid. The chicken stock processing time of 25 min is for when the ingredients are chicken only.

See: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/stock_broth.html

According to the NCHFP they stated that any soup could be used for canning.

IF you follow the 1/2 solids and 1/2 liquid rule and you don't add any thickeners of any kind

Also keep in mind that with the exception of a few approved recipes adding oil is not recommended because of its insulating properties.

Dave

• allyn12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To the freezer it goes. I'm afraid I made my stock like I usually do, oops! And I should know better. Ball has a recipe for chicken stock similar to mine which is what I modeled mine after, along with another recipe I found online that is supposed to be good for canning. The NCHFP recipe is a little bland for me. I may just process it as soup next time, minus the oil. Or just use this one. Can I add garlic to a recipe without changing ph?
    Ball recipe-
    3-4 pounds of chicken
    4 quarts water
    2 stalks celery
    2 medium onions
    10 peppercorns
    2 bay leaves
    1 tablespoon salt

process PC 10lbs 20-25 min pint/quart
    Thanks again.