Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berrybusy

Things got a little CORNy around here last night

berrybusy
11 years ago

Yay!

We have a older neighbor who peddles veggies around the area and he stopped by about 8 last night with 7-8 dozen ears of corn and asked "Did we want them?"

Of course!

I was SO HOPING for corn from somewhere but with this drought and crazy weather... some places around here they are chopping corn already to try and salvage it for feed because there was no rain for it to set ears but that's better than the places a little farther away where it's almost dead in the field.

But back to "our" corn, of course, a few cobs just begged to be eaten, but here we are, 10 pints of whole kernel corn and 3 batches of freezer corn later.

AND...

as we're unloading them from the back of the truck last night, he mentions he has more corn than he can use and just to let him know if we want more, as it will only last about a week, and there's sections of the rows they haven't even picked in yet.

I now have dreams of corn relish and Southwestern corn relish...yum!

I found the BHG Farmer's Market Corn Salsa recipe on the forums linked to below but no comments if it was truely safe or not.

Also, if I freeze some whole kernel corn, can I then add it to a vegetable soup recipe that gets canned? I know you can use frozen peppers, but I wanted to ask about the corn.

Any other suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn Salsa thread