Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
river22_gw

Need recipe for Linda Lou's pickles

river22
17 years ago

I have been reading this forum frequently and see everyone refers to Linda Lou's pickles and Annie's salsa. Can I get those recipes and is it possible to have a FAQ on this forum for frequently referred to recipes and procedures? Just a thought....My cucumbers have found their second wind and are putting off good and am still getting tons of okra.

Comments (11)

• helenore
    17 years ago

... but those recipes can found easily, and abundantly :-), by typing: Annie's Salsa Recipe, or: Linda Lou's sweet pickle recipe, into the search engine, choosing to search only in the harvest forum. (Scroll down all the way to the bottom of the harvest page to see that option.)

Just make sure that whenever you read a recipe, you pick the most recently submitted one. Always check all the way down the thread to make sure you get all the special notes, additions, and if necessary, corrections.

• river22
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks!!! :-)

• annie1992
    17 years ago

I'm also glad to repost, for a fee. LOL What did Linda Lou charge you? My bill is twice that, because I know she's big hearted and wouldn't charge enough. (grin)

ANNIEÂS SALSA

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
    2 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
    3 Â 5 chopped jalapenos
    6 cloves minced garlic
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp pepper
    1/8 cup canning salt
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 cup vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
    16 oz. tomato sauce
    16 oz tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process in a BWB 15 minutes for pints, 20 minutes for quarts.

Makes 6 pints

This salsa recipe is easily tweaked to suit nearly any taste. Just keep the amount of low acid vegetables the same. Those 4 cups of peppers and onions can be more onions, less peppers, any color of pepper. If you add more hot peppers, reduce the amount of something else. Leave out the sugar if you think it's too sweet. Taste, taste, taste. (grin) Remember, it will get a little hotter upon sitting for a couple of weeks, and I often use a combination of jalapenos, habaneros, serranos or whatever hot peppers I can get my hands on.

You can keep the tomato sauce and paste or leave it out, your choice. I only use it for the texture, I like thick and chunky salsa.

Happy Canning.

Annie

• river22
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to you too Annie! :-) I did as suggested and used the search engine... does either of you know how many times you are mentioned? WOW. Lots of reading there. :-)

• prairie_love
    17 years ago

river I totally agree - searching with these recipes results in SO many hits - all enjoyable reading, but sometimes all you want is the recipe. So, is it possible that this forum could do a FAQ of the most requested recipes? And the most asked questions? You all MUST be getting tired of answering the same questions over and over again - can I use a corrugated BWB on my flat top stove? why did my peaches lose liquid? do I need to peel my apples before making applesauce? etc.

Just a suggestion,
    Ann

• korney19
    15 years ago

Going waaaaaaaayyyy back to get this one!

I KNEW I recalled a quart size Annie's Salsa recipe/time... Can somone comment on this and a safe pressure canning time, or if the BWB is safe for QUARTS? I seem to have forgotten what was said in the past.

Thanks!

• korney19
    15 years ago

Bump! I can't find this without a search.

• malna
    15 years ago

OK, I'll try it and see if it shows up! There have been a few incidents of random weirdness lately (like all the posts disappearing off a few of the forums) so this may be another.

AFAIK, I think the salsa quart processing was determined to not be "safe" and now it's just pints or smaller.

• Linda_Lou
    15 years ago

That is correct, no canning of quarts of salsa for safety reasons.

• korney19
    15 years ago

I just posted in the other thread that got you here a recipe with QUART times that appears to have originated at the Yakima County Washington State University Extension Office...

"...* Sheila Ryan is an agent for family and consumer science with the Yakima County office of Washington State University Cooperative Extension."