Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When CAN I change the jar size safely?

Posted by VedaBeeps 10/SoCal (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 15:04

I understand not going from a half pint to a quart to can something safely because that is a huge jump in density but am wondering if it is safe to go from a half pint to a pint.

The recipe in question is this tomatillo salsa from the Ball site:

http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes/tomatillo-salsa

I plan on using it to make enchiladas so I will need a pint at a time and would rather not go through extra lids and tie up jars that could be used for other things.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When CAN I change the jar size safely?

No, if the recipe calls for half-pints, that is what was tested. You can't increase the jar size, but you can always decrease it and process for the next bigger size. There is no way to know what the processing time would be if you scale up. It isn't just about the density, but how long it takes the heat to penetrate to the center of the jar. Obviously, it would take longer on a pint than a half-pint.

You're better off to find a recipe that uses the jar size you want. Escpecially with salsas as they are already borderline on acidity because of the low acid ingredients.

Deanna

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 15:34

The same recipe is in the Ball Complete book - instructions say process pints for 15 minutes (same as 1/2 pints).

ETA: I just double checked because I did a boatload of pints last year and thought I might have had a serious "mental pause" there....Deanna's totally correct - normally you shouldn't. This happens to be a happy exception that they didn't post on their website :-)

This post was edited by malna on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 15:59

o

Hmmm... confusing.

This post was edited by VedaBeeps on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 16:24

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 16:43

Yeah, it kinda is. I think the recipe on the website was a sort of marketing thing. All that chopping and cooking and boiling and waiting to get two jars (even though they're bigger) doesn't sound quite as good as getting four.

Point is they tested it in pint jars - it's approved. And by the way, we LOVE this stuff. Try pureeing it after you open the jar (can it per the recipe - straight out of the jar is great with chips) and using it for a green enchilada sauce. Good stuff.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 17:16

When CAN I change the jar size safely?

This particular recipe aside and to answer your title question, future readers need to note the point Deanna made -

your cannot increase jar size in any situation. You can always safely reduce jar size but you can never increase jar size over what is called for in the recipe you are using.

If you must have it in a larger jar then find a recipe that has been tested with that larger jar size.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here