Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berrybusy

Pickled Three-Bean Salad

berrybusy
14 years ago

Can I use canned kidney beans in this recipe instead of lima beans? Per USDA pickled three bean salad recipe: Drain kidney beans. Rinse kidney beans with tap water and drain again.

Or, if I use the USDA recipe can I replace the garbanzo beans with more green/yellow beans?

I wanted another way to use my green and yellow beans.

Has anyone made either of these recipes? Do you have a preference?

BALL

Pickled Three-Bean Salad

Makes about 5 to 6 (16 oz) pints

You will need:

4-1/2 cups sliced trimmed green beans (about 1-1/2 lbs)

4-1/2 cups sliced trimmed yellow wax beans (about 1-1/2 lbs)

1 lb lima beans, shelled

2 cups sliced celery (about 4 stalks)

1-2/3 cups sliced onions (about 3 medium)

1 cup diced seeded red bell pepper (about 1 large)

Boiling water

2-1/2 cups granulated sugar

1 Tbsp mustard seeds

1 tsp celery seeds

4 tsp pickling or canning salt

3 cups white vinegar

1-1/4 cups water

http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/recipe/215.php?recipe=143

USDA

Pickled Three-Bean Salad

1-1/2 cups cut and blanched green or yellow beans (prepared as below)

1-1/2 cups canned, drained, red kidney beans

1 cup canned, drained garbanzo beans

1/2 cup peeled and thinly sliced onion (about 1 medium onion)

1/2 cup trimmed and thinly sliced celery (1-1/2 medium stalks)

1/2 cup sliced green peppers (1/2 medium pepper)

1/2 cup white vinegar (5 percent)

1/4 cup bottled lemon juice

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup oil

1/2 tsp canning or pickling salt

1-1/4 cups water

Yield: About 5 to 6 half-pints

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/bean_salad.html

Comments (9)

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

I used canned kidney beans in the Ball recipe last year, no problems.
    I really liked the recipe, it is good.
    Also won me 2 blue ribbons at the fair last year, single pint and in the display of pickled veggies.

• zabby17
    14 years ago

berrybusy,

Annie said she made a three-bean salad that looks like the USDA one you posted. She liked it a lot, but said she'd leave out the oil next time.

Z

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Make it with more types that three bean.. I put in any and avery kind of bean including string beans, and chickpeas. To give it a more complex and mellow taste I add cider vinegar with the white vinegar.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I agree, I made one similar to the USDA recipe, maybe identical. I got it from the National Center for Home Food Preservation Website. I thought it was too oily, next time I'll leave the oil out entirely.

I made one batch with the two types of canned beans and one batch with just kidney beans and a mix of green and yellow beans. I like the last mix the best, although I love garbanzos.

Annie

• zabby17
    14 years ago

Like Ken, I like a mix of bean flavours. I'm going to use one cup of garbanzos (which my mom especially loves) and then instead of the kidney beans use a "bean medley" --- a mix of 8 or so kinds all canned together.

Z

• zabby17
    14 years ago

Well, I made this, and it was very tasty indeed.

Annie, I didn't find it too oily --- though, keeping your comment in mind, I made sure to use a good-quality safflower oil --- but I found it sweeter than I expected. It otherwise is sosimilar to my mom's beloved chick pea salad so I didn't notice the 3/4 cup of sugar till I was putting it in. I like it quite a lot, but I don't know I would add feta to it after all.

It'll be a good lunch for when DH (not a bean salad fan) is away. I used to make a bean salad then with a tin of mixed beans and a jar of dilly beans, but that made way more than I could usually eat before DH came back....

Z

• berrybusy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the input.

Only one way to know for sure which works...
    Try 'em both.

My thoughts, I liked the UDSA recipe. I used green and yellow beans and canned kidney beans. Keeping in mind Annie's comment, I only used half the amount of oil called for. Very tasty, though none of it ever made it to the canner! In my defense, that recipe makes a smaller amount and we had a potluck to attend.

As for the Ball recipe, again I used green and yellow beans and canned kidney beans. Two cans of kidney beans, drained, equaled the weight of fresh limas called for. However, I boiled them right along with all the other vegetables which I would not do again. I found too many "husks" with all the insides of the kidney bean boiled out, not all, but enough.

I think a person should be able to prepare all the other vegetables and boil them the recommended amount of time, then add the kidney beans and bring the vegetables back to a boil before ladeling the mixture into jars and finishing the canning process. Make sense?

Also this recipe makes JUST enough brine to cover the beans. So if you try it, don't let it boil up and steam away or you might end up short.

• rb_konta_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi, i was looking for a nice recipe for a bean salad, and i found two. First is the one that berrybusy posted above, and one on irish site. I'm giving the link below if anyone is intrested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bean Salad Cup of Chickpeas

• canfan
    13 years ago

Is there a safety reason why canned green/yellow beans aren't in the recipes or is it because they will fall apart in the jar if used?