Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I can leftover syrup from peaches?

Posted by harvestingfilth 6-6B (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 15:19

Do I have to do anything special to it? The recipe I used called for making 6 quarts of whole peaches, but I cut them up and ended up with fewer pints, and a lot of syrup left over. The syrup has a touch of amaretto in it.

Can I just strain the peach bits out and then cook it down for a few minutes and can it? Do I need to add any acid? Could I add a vanilla bean while cooking it down?

Thanks--been searching my books and this forum, but can't find anything specific to answer my question.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I can leftover syrup from peaches?

Sure. Yes to all. Use the processing time as for peaches. You don't need to add acid, though you may find you want to add a bit if the flavor of the syrup (especially cooked down) is excessively sweet and needs a bit of tang. The vanilla bean is fine, though you may find the amaretto is already sufficient.

Carol

o
RE: Can I can leftover syrup from peaches?

Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I decided to pick all of my last batch of blackberries and can them in the syrup instead. They are delicious!

Now I'm getting into this syrup thing. Off to look for nice bottles that I can bwb can instead of jars!
Carrie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here