Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_inmo

Can you over cook tomato juice?

ellen_inmo
11 years ago

For tomato juice canned in quarts, I always use the squeezed out seeds and watery content of my blanched, peeled large tomatoes (whats left of the large tomatoes is used for many various canning recipes) into a bowl, chop up the millions of excess cherry and grape tomatoes in the garden, cook it all down, strain, and this is what I use for canned tomato juice. In the past, I used to just cut up, cook down and squeeze through a Victoria food strainer, but I feel I have less waste this way. Yesterday morning, my stove was maxed out. So I put my tomatoes (the cherries and the watery remains if the cut up ones) in the crock pot in low to cook down. Done this a million times before. However....I forgot they were in the crockpot till now! The strained juice has more a brownish tint vs the red it normally would have. It never burned, never boiled, just a low heat setting. I normally would now bring to a boil on the stove, then process my juice. However... this juice color is a bit odd looking. Did I over cook them??!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio