Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelelc_gw

How to use a Kitchenaid fruit and vegetable strainer for tomatoes

michelelc
13 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to use the kitchenaid fruit and vegetable strainer to process tomatoes and make tomato sauce? I just purchased the attachment for my mixer and the instructions are very poor, in my opinion. Do I cook the tomatoes first?? How to I make sauce out of the tomatoes? Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Can't speak directly to the Kitchen Aid but assuming it works like all the other tomato food mills the just wash, remove stems, and trim off bruised or discolored portions and put directly into non-reactive pan. Heat until the fruit is softened in texture - about 10-15 mins. stirring so it doesn't stick.

Then run the heated mixture through your food mill to remove skins and seeds and into the catch bowl below.

Simmer the resulting juice in large-diameter saucepan until sauce reaches desired consistency. Boil until volume is reduced by about one-third for thin sauce, or by one-half for thick sauce.

If you plan to can it the add the required bottled lemon juice or citric acid to jars. Fill jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process.

Alternative - try cutting your tomatoes into small enough pieces to fit into the hopper hole - looks to be fairly small on the Kitchen Aid) and running your tomatoes through the food mill without cooking first. You can do this but it takes more work, makes more mess, and you don't get as much juice or meat from the tomatoes so results in less sauce.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Make Tomato Sauce

• aaustin6253
    7 years ago

That gets it to sauce? How do I take it from there to paste? I want to make tomato paste.

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

"That gets it to sauce? How do I take it from there to paste? I want to make tomato paste."

The juicing methods discussed above get it to the juice stage, not the sauce stage. It has to cook down for several hours to get rid of most of the water before you have sauce. It helps to let it sit in the fridge overnight to separate and then skim off all the watery liquid that forms on top.

Making tomato paste out of tomato sauce then is just a matter of cooking the sauce down even more until it thickens to paste consistency. You can boil it down or roast it down, stirring both frequently to keep it from burning. But plan on several hours of additional coking either way.

Once it reaches the consistency you want you add the bottled lemon juice or citric acid required, fill the 1/2 or 1/4 pint jars with the paste and process it in a BWB for 45 min.

Dave

• Laura Shepler
    7 years ago

Macybaby, Cathy- Have you ever had trouble with your KA strainer sending out almost pure liquid along with the pulp and seeds? My "waste" has been so runny that it drips down the outside of the housing, dropping seeds into my juice collecting bowl. I've tried cooking the tomatoes, not cooking the tomatoes, quartering them, and even food processing them before running them through the strainer. Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Laura

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths