Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to use a Kitchenaid fruit and vegetable strainer for tomatoes

Posted by michelelc (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 15:22

Can anyone tell me how to use the kitchenaid fruit and vegetable strainer to process tomatoes and make tomato sauce? I just purchased the attachment for my mixer and the instructions are very poor, in my opinion. Do I cook the tomatoes first?? How to I make sauce out of the tomatoes? Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to use a Kitchenaid fruit and vegetable strainer for toma

Can't speak directly to the Kitchen Aid but assuming it works like all the other tomato food mills the just wash, remove stems, and trim off bruised or discolored portions and put directly into non-reactive pan. Heat until the fruit is softened in texture - about 10-15 mins. stirring so it doesn't stick.

Then run the heated mixture through your food mill to remove skins and seeds and into the catch bowl below.

Simmer the resulting juice in large-diameter saucepan until sauce reaches desired consistency. Boil until volume is reduced by about one-third for thin sauce, or by one-half for thick sauce.

If you plan to can it the add the required bottled lemon juice or citric acid to jars. Fill jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process.

Alternative - try cutting your tomatoes into small enough pieces to fit into the hopper hole - looks to be fairly small on the Kitchen Aid) and running your tomatoes through the food mill without cooking first. You can do this but it takes more work, makes more mess, and you don't get as much juice or meat from the tomatoes so results in less sauce.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Make Tomato Sauce

o
RE: How to use a Kitchenaid fruit and vegetable strainer for toma

I have the KA strainer. I wash the tomatoes good, cut them into small enough pieces to fit (half or quarters) and cut off bad spots, I do not core them. I usually wash them all, then cut them all, then run them through the machine.

I run the "remains" back through the mill and that removes quite a bit more wet stuff - what I am left it is quite dry.

Even though my Romas will fit down the tube whole, whole tomatoes often spurt when they get popped, and I don't like wearing tomatoe guts (or cleaning them off the walls). So I cut almost all tomatoes at least in half even when they are small. I did not cut the cherry tomatoes I ran through, and I didn't have too many spurts from them.

I usually let the juice set overnight (in fridge) so it separates and I can eliminate some of the simmering by not dumping it all in the kettle. Mostly I do this as I don't have enough time left in the day to simmer them after I get that far.

I've got 15 quarts (down from 20) simmering on the stove right now almost ready to can up. I'm going to let it get down to about 13 and then can up 7 quarts and then simmer it down even more to make some nice thick ketchup. These almost all Roma and Italia tomatoes - so the juice started out quite thick to begin with. First time I've grown them and it sure is a difference!

The KA is a mess to clean - I found the best way is to use the spray nossle on the garden hose to get enough pressure to blow the stuff out of the sieve (which is what I have in my summer kitchen - lots of water pressure) But that is after running 45 quarts of cut up tomatoes through the machine.

Two years ago, when I first got the attachment, I tried cooking the tomatoes first, and decided it didn't make that much of a difference in the final result, but did take a lot more time and required more clean up. Last year I got blight and no tomato crop :(

I'll add - this is a rather messy operation, you will occasionally have something spurt and be cleaning tomato off the surrounding surfaces. Another reason I love my summer kitchen, I don't have to be that worried about the mess.

Cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here