Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Bubbles in My Jam

nancyofnc
15 years ago

OK, this is a new one on me. I've made 10 or so batches of fresh peach jam this season, all clear and lovely. This one last batch is full of tiny bubbles. Something I've never encountered before in my bazillion years of canning.

Why did this happen (so I can prevent it for the next 10 or so batches I have yet to do)? What can I do about it? Is it safe to eat (will ingesting air bubbles makes people hiccup?)? LOL

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)

• readinglady
    15 years ago

I found an old thread where that was discussed. You may get some ideas from that.

Basically if the jam cools too much before being jarred (not being poured immediately as hot as possible) and/or if the preserve is ladled or poured from too much height the jam stream aerates. The thread amplifies.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Bubbles in Jam

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, looking at those posts -- I didn't pour it too high, I use a funnel and a metal canning scoop that is one cup so no double dip for 1/2 pint jars, and I do skim foam - this was not foam on top, this was throughout and not big bubbles either. I do not let molten jam sit for more than 2 minutes before jarring up (unless it is a chunky preserve then it is 4 minutes so the solids distribute evenly). This batch though was just a bubble nightmare.

However, today I opened and dumped all the jam into a pot and reheated, put a little butter in (I don't like doing that) and it eventually cleared up but got darker and thicker. I did not BWB it again but will put the pints in fridge for us to eat, not for others (I have friends who can't have the slightest bit of dairy). Like I said, I've never had this problem, and I hope I never will again. It is still a mystery, but thanks for steering me to possibilities.

Nancy

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Sounds like it was too set when jarred. A thin plastic knife or spatula can be used to remove those air pockets as they form BEFORE you do processing.

It was safer, even with the air bubbles, before you added the butter, but it will last longer without going rancid or getting moldy if you BWB it again unless too much time has already passed.

Dave

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These were not pockets of air bubbles that a knife could get out. This was, as you see by the photo, a mass of tiny bubbles throughout the jam. Not pockets but pox! LOL

Refrigeration will keep the jam OK until it gets eaten by us.

Nancy

• whynotmi
    15 years ago

Maybe you should rename it "fizzy peach jam"? ;^)

I had that happen to a couple jars last year. I figured I hadn't skimmed enough. I just used them first and it didn't change the taste any. :)

• annie1992
    15 years ago

If a canning catastrophe or aberration can happen, it's happened to me.

Yes, that looks like some of the jam I've made, but my latest was strawberry. Like whynotmi, I figured I just had a particularly foamy batch of jam. I don't like to add the butter to keep the foam down, so I get "bubbles" sometimes. I just eat those jars myself and haven't ever worried about it. A few years ago I had applesauce so "bubbly" that we were singing "Tiny Bubbles" here. LOL

Annie

• bluegrassmama
    11 years ago

I did multiple batches of Prickly Pear jelly and 2 of the batches contained these very small bubbles as well. I opened one and the jelly was not completely set. Tastes wonderful but not perfectly jelled. I have tried finding a re-do in my Ball Canning book and online with no luck.
    So I think I will try to follow the Sure-Jell instructions "if a jelly doesn't set". My other batches came out wonderful. First jelly I have ever made and I won a Blue Ribbon at our county fair !!