Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_vetter

Looking for a recipes- banana peppers, tomatoes, peaches...

Kerry Vetter
12 years ago

Hello- I am looking for a good recipe for banana peppers, I have used the hot pepper one from Ball but I am looking for one more similar to the kind you get at say subway.

Also, I have lots of peaches and tomatoes, I have used the Peach Salsa recipe and am making peach bbq sauce now but would love any recipes that include both tomatoes and peaches.

Thanks much!!

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Literally 100's of recipes here for all of them that the search will pull up for you. Just use the forum search at the bottom of the page and type in "pepper recipe" or "peach recipe" etc. I linked one of the best recipe discussions for you below but there are many many others.

And of course don't forget all the recipes available at NCHFP, freshpreserving.com, homecanning.com, the Ball Blue Book, etc.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite recipes

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you! I am new here so I am still learning how to navigate through the site. In case anyone was wondering the Peach BBQ sauce from the Art of Preserving by Williams Sonoma is wonderful:)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Hmmm that recipe calls for 1/2 cup of oil? Has a fair amount of acid for the onions and stuff and of course the peaches are acidic but that amount of oil would really give me second thoughts about that recipe.

Says it is "adapted" from The Art of Preserving, by Lisa Atwood, Rebecca Courchesne & Rick Field (Weldon Owen, 2010). I wonder if they had their recipes tested for safe canning or to have them approved?

Any one know anything about this book? No credentials listed on the amazon.com page for it.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: WS Peach BBQ sauce recipe

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    12 years ago

Dave, do you think maybe this recipe would be better cooked then frozen instead of canned? I do think it sounds very yummy, but I'm with you about being leery about that oil.

Thanks,
    Edie

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Yeah freezing it would be no problem Edie. So would leaving out the oil all together.

It is just canning with all that oil that sets off alarms for me as there are only a couple of approved recipes that would allow for that oil.

I wish I knew some credentials on these authors. They could be ok or they could be just another set of cookbook authors that know nothing about canning safety. We all know there are lots of those books out there.

If anyone has the book look to see if it has the USDA seal of approval or any references to NCHFP testing and let us know please.

Dave

• cziga
    11 years ago

I searched the forum for the Peach BBQ sauce from William Sonoma, and only pulled up one or two threads, this being the most specific.

I'm wondering if anything else has been discovered about this particular william sonoma recipe in the last year (since the original thread). [the recipe is in a link above]. It sounds wonderful and tasty and I have a bunch of peaches that I'm looking for something to use them for... I do not want to freeze a BBQ sauce, I'd rather have a safe canning version.

If I left out the oil, would it be considered a safe recipe to can?

• cziga
    11 years ago

Also I was surprised that for a BBQ sauce, there were no tomatoes in the ingredients.

I know tomatoes are less acidic than peaches, so I'm assuming that swapping out half the peaches for tomatoes would NOT be considered safe? Or is there enough acid in there to compensate?