Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can leeks be canned? Asparagus?

Posted by thecurious1 z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 9, 06 at 15:29

Hi All- I have been canning my little tail off. At this rate, I will never need to purchase a jar of jam again, ever.

In looking at what I want to preserve, Leeks are on top of the list. If I get a good price, I would can them, they can be expensive sometimes. The other veggies, are pretty cheap fast frozen. (But that may change with gas at 3.50 a gallon)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can leeks be canned? Asparagus?

Asparagus can be canned, if you have a pressure cooker. (Pickling can be done boiling water bath.) If you have the freezer space, you might find you prefer it frozen.

It's a little difficult to find information on leeks. Onions less than 1-inch in diameter can be processed (again pressure canner), but leeks aren't mentioned, except for root cellaring.

Actually, you might have your best luck with leeks if you cleaned, cut in rings and dried them. I know home-dried onions are a world apart from any commercial products. Obviously they wouldn't be suitable for all recipes, but for soups and things where you want that special leek flavor, that's a good option. And again, you could certainly prep and freeze like onions.

Carol

o

Leeks are probably better if either dried in pieces or frozen.

o

This is the info I have:
Leeks are unfortunately not a good candidate for freezing unless you plan on using them in soups or other recipes rather than as a main dish. Freezing tends to turn them to mush and lends a bitter taste. If you decide to freeze leeks, cut into slices or whole lengths. Seal in airtight bags, freeze, and use within three months. To preserve flavor, do not thaw before cooking further. Use frozen cooked leftovers for soup within three months.

o

That's very helpful, Linda Lou. Did it say anything about drying leeks? We're growing some this year for the first time; I think most will get used fresh but I'm going to at least try drying a few unless you've heard recommendations against it.

Carol

o
drying leeks

Carol, it didn't say anything about drying leeks. I have never tried drying any, just have used them fresh.
Wish they were not so expensive here, I like them better than onions.

o

We had a leek, goat milk and gouda quiche for dinner yesterday. Yum!! Linda Lou, leeks are cheap here. I paid 32 cents for 2 big ones.

o

All the alliums in the garden are beautiful this year, a nice change from last year when both the onion and the tomato crops were pretty miserable. I usually dry lots of Walla Walla sweets because DH has a tendency to overplant. They are wonderful that way. If we have leftover leeks, I'll give drying a shot and post a report.

Carol

o

Leeks are dried and packed in a couple of the Knorr dried soup packets. They rehydrate quite well

o
cost of leeks

Here leeks cost about a dollar each ! See why I don't buy them often ?

o

do you have any leek canning recipes at all , i just went and picked tons of them off our hill and id like to can about 10 jars , one dollar per leek wow i have about have a 5 gallon bucket full

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here