Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Recipe in Washington Post (eggplant)

prairie_love
12 years ago

Many of us are often wishing for more eggplant preservation techniques so I was intrigued when a friend sent me a recipe from the Washington Post. I would have thought WP would do their research and only publish safe recipes but I think I was wrong.

This recipe sounds yummy but it obviously is not safe for canning and long-term storage. However, I am not sure they are implying that it should be canned. I'm not sure what they are saying. They say it should be kept in a jar for a month to develop flavor, but they do not indicate whether it is safe for storage, which I think it is not.

So, two things - first, just to comment that I am disappointed to see a recipe like this in WP without some safety comments. But my question, do you think this could be made and stored in the refrigerator and if so, for how long?

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Eggplant Pickles

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

First i thought ok because it is pickled. But with all that oil! Then they first advocate just cool-on-the-counter vacuum sealing and then, if necessary, process in a BWB.

Definitely a do-at-you-own-risk recipe.

Dave

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I have seen similar recipes, less typically in the U.S., more commonly in Britain. Jamie Oliver, for example, does something similar and I also have two British preserving books that use the method.

I think the process is less risky than first glance would seem to indicate, because an important element of the process is thoroughly infusing the vegetable (i.e. eggplant) with 100% vinegar before sealing with oil.

However, having said that, I've never seen any science regarding this method to conclude yea or nay. I would be really interested to know what the WP means when they say the recipe was tested.

Personally, though I know it's common practice to shelf store, I'd refrigerate or even freeze. I'm not adventurous enough to take the risk of anything else. I'm guessing this kind of thing would retain its texture pretty well in the freezer, due to the presence of the olive oil.

I really wish somewhere along the way I'd find some kind of authoritative source regarding food safety with this method. The only remotely comparable is the standard peppers marinated in oil recipe but there's no evidence to conclude this is similarly safe.

This is what happens when everybody jumps on the preserving bandwagon.

Carol

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I find it worrisome because people will assume that a high profile paper such as the Washington Post has done their research. I agree Carol, I wonder what they mean by "tested".

I was thinking I might make this and refrigerate. Didn't occur to me that freezing might work, I might try that too.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Sounds awfully bland anyway. The only spice is coriander. No pepper, garlic, nothing. Just doesn't even sound good, even if it was safe. But, I agree, I'm really amazed to see something like this in the WP.
    BTW, I was just reading that you can dehydrate eggplant and it is supposed to be almost as good as fresh for most recipes. I know what my dehydrator will be busy drying this fall when the eggplants go crazy!

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Well, it does have hot peppers. I think, though, that a really good olive oil would be crucial as its character must be a big element of the recipe.

I should add the disclaimer that I'm not a big fan of eggplant, so I wouldn't be making this anyway.

Ellie Topp's Madras Eggplant (I think that's the name.) is mentioned on this forum and has received rave reviews.

Carol

• t-bird
    12 years ago

I think a few of you should contact the paper with concerns....perhaps they could address these or alternately - put out some info to protect those who may not realize there is an issue....

I'm thinking about giardinerra - which is similarly packed in oil and very raw/crunchy.

Have any of you done one of these? Or do you feel the same issues may be a problem with home canning this?

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I've used Linda Ziedrich's Giardiniera recipe, which is BWB and calls for 1 T. olive oil per pint. I've also made her Jardiniere, which is a similar mixed pickle, no oil added when canned.

Of course, the simplest thing is to can without the oil and prepare a fresh marinade when the jar is opened. Personally, I find that yields the best results.

Although I've canned the marinated peppers in oil and Ziedrich's recipe, for me oil floating on the top is just a pain to deal with. Messy and if you're not absolutely meticulous or there's any kind of siphoning (easy to happen when you have raw-pack veggies bumping against the lid) an increased risk of seal failures.

However, Ziedrich's recipes are safe and do result in an attractive pickle, if you're interested in that.

Carol

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Carol's correct. Home canning giardiniera can be risky unless an approved recipe is used, one that calls for lots of vinegar and no or only minimal oil. But yes there are many unsafe recipes for it out there. I have seen some claiming you can safely can it with up to 2 cups of oil. NOT!

Dave

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Elle Topp's Madras has a great deal of spices, plus vinegar, which I think would make the eggplant far more zingy and tasty. I was just thinking about trying them, since I will soon have a surplus.
    This recipe, on the other hand looks dull, bland. Peppers and olive oil for flavor. Needs at least some garlic or lemon juice, something.
    Anyway, I'm not going to try it!

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus