Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Seal the Jars Again?

Posted by blackcows none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 15:51

Thanks to the help we received on this forum last year my kids went from pickles that received red ribbons (below average) in the county fair to getting mostly purples (the highest award you can get), a jar of pickles selected to go to State Fair and a Judges Award of Merit. They also won several classes in the open class judging including the Ball Award for best Dill Pickles.

In the 4H judging they do not open the jars but they do open and taste in the open class. We would like to enter the open class pickles in another local fair so my first question is can we reseal them? They were opened 4 days ago and a single pickle slice was taken out to taste. If we can not seal them again are they safe to eat after sitting in an air conditioned building for this amount of time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Seal the Jars Again?

A 100% vinegar brine would be safe but anything less than that sitting un-refrigerated for 4 days presents some listeria risk.

Even with a 100% brine, I wouldn't re-process any pickle because texture and color would suffer. I'd enter a fresh jar. If they don't sample you just take it home. If the judges do sample the odds of winning with a fresh jar will be much better.

Carol

o

Agree. Reseal would not be a safe option after 24 hours and attempting it even if less than 24 hours would affect the quality and flavor substantially.

As Carol said, safe to eat after 4 days sitting out? No, even in A/C would be risky unless it was a straight vinegar brine and even then, not recommended.

Dave

o

Thanks for the replies....I guess we will just keep it on the safe side and give them to my mother in law to eat ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here