Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Butter

Posted by Rosie025 none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 9, 11 at 15:56

I am making my first attempt at peach butter, but have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with!
I am using the BBB peach butter recipe
yields about 4 pints:

4-4.5 lbs peaches
4 cups sugar

Peel, pit, slice peaches. Simmer with 1/2 cup water until soft. Puree.
Measure 2 quarts peach pulp, combine with sugar. cook until thick enough to round up on a spoon. Ladle into hot jars, process 10 minutes in boiling water canner.

Questions:
1. If I wanted to do this over 2 days, is there a safe stopping point? After its pureed? After it's made into butter, then heated again before processed?

2. The peaches I want to use are pretty sweet. Is the amount of sugar necessary for safe canning, or can I reduce it?

3. If I wanted to use half pint jars, should I still process for 10 minutes?

Thank you for your help!! :)

Rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Butter

1. Any point at which you want to stop is safe as long as you refrigerate. Just make sure you use Fruit Fresh or similar (a pinch of ascorbic acid) for color retention. I might add the sugar first and cook for a while before stopping, again because the sugar will assist in color retention, but it isn't a safety issue regardless.

2. You can reduce the sugar. No problem.

3. You can process in half-pints, same time as for pints. You can always safely size down.

Carol

o
RE: Peach Butter

I agree, you can safely stop and refrigerate this at any point, and then finish later.

I always reduce sugar, most recipes are too sweet for my taste, so I add a little, taste, add a little, until it's "right".

I agree with Carol, you can always downsize jars, half pints are fine.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here