Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
want to make wild plum jelly

Posted by casi 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 16:03

I called a friend who makes Wild Plum Jelly. She said she uses the recipe on Sure Jell package. I don't have a package but will buy some. I tried looking up the recipe on line but didn't see any specifically for plums. I was just wondering how it is cooked and how I get the little bit of meat and not the seeds. Anybody else make it? The plums are in shortage this year because of the drought but have some trees producing on the pond bank.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: want to make wild plum jelly

Mash the plums, add just enough water to cover them and boil until softened. Then you will need to strain the liquid to remove the seeds and skins to make jelly. Use a jelly bag or some muslin (washed) or several layers of cheesecloth to strain it all. Measure how much juice you end up with and add amount of sugar needed and the pectin.

Linked the instructions below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Plum Jelly

o

I have to ask digdirt - why try to mash the plums first? Sounds like hard work. They burst anyway when you boil them up.

o

Sis and I made plum jelly using the recipe on the Sure Jell box insert paper. It turned out totally awesome. It really helped that we had absolutely the best plums ever to use. Everyone is really pleased with the results.

o

Hi Flora - I mash primarily because the wild plums are so much smaller. Takes them longer to pop. Easy with an old potato masher.

And the way they are usually picked/stripped of the branch includes many hard ones. Mashing lets me ID the hard ones and remove them. I think it also releases more flavor.

JME

Dave

o

OK - but why remove the hard ones? Don't slightly under ripe fruit contain more pectin? And you're going to strain them out anyway. Guess I'm just lazier than you.

o

Dave, sorry so long in getting back to you. Thanks for the link and your helpful comments. I live in a rural area...had to get to the Sure Gel store! Anyway, planning on giving it a try tomorrow!

o

Don't slightly under ripe fruit contain more pectin?

Flora - yes they do but I don't like to include the hard crunchy ones just because they are bitter. I'm going to add pectin anyway so it's mostly a taste issue with me. Whatever works for you is fine.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here