Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
commgardener11

Using thick apricot jam?

commgardener11
10 years ago

I over-boiled my apricot jam, and it's super thick! Now I'm looking for suggestions on use... How would you use it in non-meat dishes (I don't like sweet meats)? Thanks for sharing!

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Baking - cookies like "Thumbprint cookies" or apricot bars, muffins, cupcakes, layer cake filling instead of the frosting, turnovers, heat it up for ice cream toppings maybe.

Dave

PS: apricot glazed baked or grilled pork chops are pretty hard to beat. :-)

• pqtex
    10 years ago

I did that one time...I opened all the jars and dumped it back in the pot and cooked it to a semi-hard candy stage. Rolled it up in parchment paper, and had delicious hard candies. Mine was plum jam. That was part of the batch. The rest of the batch, I spread in the dehydrator like fruit roll-ups and when dry enough, I cut and rolled in parchment paper like tootsie rolls.,

• jenized
    10 years ago

WHen i have done this i have done one of two things.
    1. put about half a cup of water or full cup depending on the size of your batch, bring it to a simmer and re-jar... voila.. regular consistency jame.

2. I have used the thick version as a fruit paste to go with cheese, absolutely sublime.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

I think it would work for these - my neighbor made them for her husband for decades, his favorite.
    (and I don't like fruit/meat combinations either ;) Not even pineapple on a pizza, or my sis's killer raisin sauce for ham, We had guests from Croatia a few years ago and they wanted to cook a special dinner, one seldom affordable given the price of beef for them. Roasted beef and plums. I smiled hard, said thank you so much, and ate)

California Gold Bars

1 c. brown sugar, packed
    1 c. butter
    1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 c. flour
    1 c. nuts
    1/2 c. apricot jam
    Beat together sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Stir in flour and nuts. Spoon half the batter in a greased 9-inch square pan. Spread evenly with jam, cover jam with remaining batter. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Cut into squares.

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

We aren't fans of sweet/meat combos either with only a couple of exceptions (ham, sweet BBQ sauce on ribs).
    I would use it for:

Apricot Bars - I've got a great recipe...let me know if you need it. You can use up to 2 cups per batch (9 x13 pan).
    Filling for Pastries - puff pastry, cream cheese, jam. Or use it for filling in a cinnamon roll type recipe. Would be awesome with some slivered almonds.
    Ice cream or pancake topping (warm in microwave first).

Deanna

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

A pass along recipe from my Mum:

1/2 pint double (thick) cream
    1 jar apricot jam (1 pound jar)
    Some flaked almonds - as many as you fancy.

Whip the cream.
    Fold in the jam and nuts.
    Freeze.
    That's it.

You can sub some of the cream with a small carton of low fat yoghurt.

You might need to thin your jam with hot water if it's too thick to fold in.