Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Pearl Apples

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 16:09

This year our Pink Pearl Apples were ripe about two weeks earlier than usual, and they had the darkest color we've ever gotten. I just made the last of the apples into pies and I thought I'd share some pictures, they are grainier than I would like but it can't be helped.

pink pearl apples photo apples004.jpg
Apples with a slice of pie in the background

photo apples010.jpg
Skinned apple, great color.

pink pearl pie photo apples021.jpg
Pink Pearl Apple Pie - No color added!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Pearl Apples

Wow, that's pink! Never seen them before. Looks good.

o

• Posted by bcskye 5 Brn.Co., IN (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 15:19

Never saw this type of apple before, but you made a beautiful pie with them. If I ever get a chance to get some, I definitely will. Thank you for posting about them.

o

Pink Pearl apples are very hard to find for sale, I've seen them in a specialty super market once but those had very little color to them and looked like they were getting past their prime. I learned about red-fleshed apples years ago and quickly realized that if I wanted some I was going to have to plant a tree, then I lucked out and my Mom bought a house that had a tree already planted. They are the best pie apples I've ever cooked with, but are too tart for fresh eating in my opinion - like a very tart Granny Smith. They also don't store well and the red pigment varies depending on soil and climate, so they won't make a good commercial crop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here