Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning question

Posted by ianjones none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 16:10

My girlfriend made some zucchini relish using the recipe out of a Ball canning book. We had looked at reviews of the recipe online and it seemed to be well liked. The reviews said that the relish was a little thin and that you might need to drain some liquid off of it when you open it. Ours however turned out thicker. It's actually the perfect thickness for using as it does not make my bread soggy. We have not opened any of the jars and just ate the leftover we had stored in the fridge. All the jars sealed properly and where processed according to the directions.

S I was just wondering if being to thick will cause a problem with making them safe to eat? I know that the thickness has to do with the heat penetrating all the way to the middle and want to be sure these are safe to eat. I could probably post a picture over the weekend of how thick it is if that would help. There is really no liquid that could be drained from ours you would probably have to squeeze liquid out of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning question

From your description it does sound overly dry as it should normally be sloshy, free moving in the jars with liquid clearly visible. Most likely the jars were over packed with solids and not enough liquids.

Is it less than 24 hours old? If so I would suggest making up some additional brine from the recipe and re-heating, re-jarring adding 1-2 additional jars to the count and reprocessing.

If more then 24 hours old then it is too late to re-process. It then becomes your choice to keep it or not. It is probably still safe to eat because of the vinegar but there is no assurance of safety for long term shelf storage.

How many jars? Can they be stored in the fridge and used with 3 months?

Dave

o

Actually, I think it would be fine. If you followed the recipe and had the correct amount of ingredients in it, it is fine. My Ball Complete cookbook recipe for Zesty Zucchini Relish doesn't mention anything about pouring off liquid. In fact, it encourages you to salt the zucchini and squeeze it out to draw off as much liquid as possible, It says it should have the consistency of a "thin storebought relish". Happy canning!

o

Mine is defiantly not sloshy or free moving in the jar. It's not really dry but you can tip the jar over and the relish barley moves at all. Defiantly past the 24 hour mark now.

Sounds like eating this could be iffy?

o

Sounds like eating this could be iffy?

It might be. As I said above it is probably still safe to eat because of the vinegar used but we can't know that for sure. It sure doesn't sound as if it has the consistency of "thin store bought relish" which always has free liquid in the container much less the recommended consistency of "clearly visible liquid".

Personally I would pitch it. But that is just my opinion.

Dave

o

I think I will pitch it and make some more. Better safe then sorry. The relish is very good but not worth dying over!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here