Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shawnalyn_gw

Can I can this cranberry sauce?

shawnalyn
10 years ago

In my family, cranberry sauce is served raw. I grind up peeled oranges, apples, and cranberries, add a little sugar, and refrigerate the results. It's great and my husband LOVES it.

I am now pregnant and am just starting to get my energy back from the first trimester exhaustion. I am beginning to make/can/freeze what I can in hopes that I will not do a ton of complicated cooking once the baby comes (early in the new year).

I was originally thinking I would make a ton of my cranberry sauce and freeze it, but I am trying to figure out what I can preserve instead of freezing to save all important freezer space for full meals. I was thinking that maybe if I boiled it (making it not raw but similar), I might be able to can it instead?

This is all fruit and a little sugar. Is there some reason I am not seeing that I wouldn't be able to can it? My ratio is about:

2lb cranberries
6 apples
6 oranges
1 cup sugar

Comments (5)

• readinglady
    10 years ago

This can be processed if you pre-cook the ingredients and hot-pack it. Basically it's a low-sugar jam.

However, the cooking process will alter the texture and flavor (a melded flavor rather than distinct elements) so you may find you prefer it frozen and raw.

Consider freezing cranberries only during the holiday season and maybe DH can assist in making batches during the year. Since apples and oranges are also available in the winter I don't know if the convenience merits the expense of processing. You might want to focus your limited energies elsewhere.

Carol

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I agree that the flavor and texture will be quite different if processed but then it will also be quite different if frozen vs. fresh.

As an alternative you can can the cranberries and then add the apples and oranges at serving time. That would give you more of the raw, fresh texture and taste.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canned cranberry sauce

• shawnalyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Honestly with a new baby I am looking for stuff I can just open and serve. I am going to try cooking a small batch and see what it tastes like. If it's no good, I will just freeze (tastes pretty similar right out of the freezer to fresh, but I only ever use frozen cranberries to start, so that may be why)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

The only recipe I have that's similar is sweeter, more of a jam - but here it is....

8 cups of peeled and diced apple (and firm apple like Granny Smith won't cook down as well)
    4 cups whole cranberries
    6 cups sugar
    1 cup water
    2 lemons, zested and juiced

Combine the apples, cranberries, sugar and water in a large pot. Bring to a boil, skimming foam. Cook 10-15 minutes, or until the cranberries pop and apples soften.
    Add lemon zest and juice and simmer until the liquid in the pot begins to thicken - then cook, stirring until thick and syrup-y.
    Ladle into clean jars, process boiling water bath 10 minutes.

I applaud you wanting to do things from scratch, but if you are anticipating busy months with a new baby, 1) your DH may very well understand and make some sacrifices himself, and 2) while it's not like freshly made, Ocean Spray whole cranberry sauce isn't awful. I have a BIL who loves that and keep it on hand for him when our local berries are out of season. He likes it cold so when I know he's coming to eat, I put a can in the refrigerator :)

• pattypan
    9 years ago

if i remember right, O.S. adds high fructose corn syrup to their whole cranberry sauce. that's why we now make and freeze our own with fresh berries ( or freeze them and make it anytime). i believe Gefen makes it with just sugar and water.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor