Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christen17

Best uses for Juliet Tomatoes

Christen17
10 years ago

So, I find myself with 50 pounds of Juliet tomatoes. I have read that they aren't the best fresh eating tomato because they have such tough skins. If they are best used for cooking, what would bring out the best of this tomato? Roasting? Sauce? Paste? Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to use this little beauty? I'd like to preserve them in some way if possible.

Comments (7)

• berrybusy
    10 years ago

We like them for fresh eating. Those little round slices are so cute! So, decide for yourself if they are too tough for you. I found they dehydrated nicely also. Really, any thing you can do with a tomato is fair game. The other night we had a campfire near the garden and I grabbed a few off the vine and toasted them like a marshmallow. Nice smokey flavor.

P.S. Heeellllp I'm drowning in tomatoes... ;-)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Best use I have found is slice in half vertically and dehydrating them. It intensifys what flavor they have.

You can make sauce out of them if you have a tomato mill to get the skins out. Otherwise it is a very chewy sauce with not much flavor.

No paste instructions available - too dense. But roasting will help with the flavor if you decide to go with making sauce.

Dave

• Christen17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Folks!
    Roasting them sounds delicious.

• Seasyde
    10 years ago

Last year was my first year growing them and I was overrun with them. Unfortunately the flavor was meh. A took a tip I found here on the forum and started freezing them in zip lock bags as they ripened. After the season was over I made sauce, which turned out a whole lot better than I expected from those tomatoes.

I tried them again this year, as the people who had recommended these in the first place insisted I'd just had a bad year. They were right - the flavor is better this year, but of course the yield is way down. (As it is with all my tomatoes this year). I'm freezing them again, but don't expect a large batch of sauce. I doubt I'll be planting them again next year - I just dont have the space for tomatoes I don't love.

• HU-706185850
    3 years ago

Can you peel them like canning tomatoes then cook down for sauce?

• HU-422368488
    3 years ago

Yes

HU

• HU-367599376
    last year

I harvest about 300 pounds of Juliet tomatoes every year from only 6-7 plants. After eating all we can possibly eat fresh (out of hand, in salads, salsa, bruschetta, roasted, etc.) I freeze them whole by the bagful. Then when I'm ready to make sauce, I'll pull out a few bags, let them partially thaw, and they pop right out of their skins with a simple pinch. I cook them down with my garden garlic, onions, and basil, some olive oil and salt, until I have a thick, rich sauce. I squeeze the skins to get out the last bit of juice and add that to the sauce for extra flavor. I love Juliets so much that it's almost the only tomato I grow now. I add a couple of beefsteak-type tomatoes to the garden for sandwiches, but the Juliets win the prize!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County