Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monique_ca

Vinegars, condiments, chutneys - your fave approved recipes!

Monique_CA
10 years ago

Hello All!

I'm a MFP and giving a class. Looking for your favorite vinegar, condiment, and chutney recipes! My only hitch, to use, is that I need to know the safe and approved source it came from.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (8)

• Monique_CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PS - I just thought I'd say...I can source these out myself, I'm not lazy lol, just looking for tried and true favorites. :)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Oscar Relish and Tomato-Apple Chutney. Both from NCHFP.

Dave

• malna
    10 years ago

I make three vinegars - shallot (with red wine vinegar), tarragon (with white wine vinegar) and raspberry balsamic. I used recipes from Colorado State University Extension and Oregon State University Extension. The links to those two PDF's are in this thread.

Favorite condiment is KatieC's Smoky Chipotle Ketchup.

Chutneys - I love them all :-) I've made rhubarb, gooseberry, cranberry, beet, peach-jalapeno, cherry-currant, apricot-raisin, green tomato, mango, and my new favorite - tamarind. I usually start with recipes from the Ball Complete Book, Ellie Topp's Small Batch Preserving, or Canadian Living's Preserving Book and adapt slightly to what I have to work with. I might use shallots instead of onions or nectarines instead of peaches, different vinegars like malt vinegar or white balsamic, different spice combinations, or dried cherries instead of raisins - things like that. Chutneys are so much fun to (safely) get creative with.

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

I make about a dozen different herb vinegars for DH to play with. Our favorites are garlic chives in a seasoned rice vinegar, or lemon basil or lemon thyme in a champagne vinegar. Personally, I generally stick with one or two flavors per vin to avoid muddled flavors.

• Monique_CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks All! Any others? :)

• pqtex
    10 years ago

I made the Vidalia onion relish for the first time this year. The recipe is in So Easy to Preserve. I'd never tasted an onion relish before, so didn't know quite what to expect. I was mainly trying to find uses for an onion harvest that wasn't going to keep for long and was out of freezer space. They aren't Vidalia onions, but they made a nice sandwich relish and the flavor is good with meats. The only change was a switch between pimento, which I didn't have, to fresh red bell pepper in the same quantity.

• WazzyWaz
    10 years ago

Roasted red pepper spread from the Ball Complete. Very labor intensive, but it's the absolute must-make for me. I am also a fan of the herbed vinegars, which fall on the opposite scale--nice and simple.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Thanks Waz for the reminder - roasted red pepper spread is real winner here too.

Dave

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor