Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gina55_gw

Newbie needs help

Gina55
11 years ago

New at using pressure canner. I keep losing a little fluid from jars. This last batch I used finger tips to secure lids. I have a Fagor pressure canner. Need help!

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Well since Fagor's aren't approved by the USDA guidelines for canning, few have experience with them and their unusual functions and pressure settings. So it will be difficult to provide much specific help. Sorry.

All I can tell you is the common causes of siphoning - what happened to you - and how it can be avoided with the normal canners. (You can search 'siphoning' here for more details.)

The most common cause is too many or too extreme heat adjustments during the processing. That causes changes in pressure inside the canner. Given the size of the Fagor it will respond to those heat/pressure changes much faster than normal pressure canners would.

Next most common cause is improper cool down procedures. Since one of the issues with Fagor's is the speed and the way they reduce pressure and are vented, you may not be able to eliminate the problem.

Normally I could tell you that while siphoning should be eliminated the food in the jar is safe to consume when processed properly. But with the Fagor the published processing times aren't applicable so you foods may well be under-processed.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - How to use a pressure canner

• Gina55
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That explains a lot. I should just consider every thing I've done as under processed. I'm very upset with Fagor. Thank you for the info.

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

They are not safe for canning, just cooking.
    You need to either get a proper pressure canner and reprocess within 24 hours of the initial canning or throw the food and jars away. Don't open them as they could have potential botulism already. Only takes about 2 days to grow botulism. Cannot see, taste or smell it.
    When in doubt, throw it out !

• Gina55
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Linda Lu. I've really learned a valuable lesson. Any suggestions on what brand of canner to purchase.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

There are numerous threads discussing the pros and cons of various brands and sizes of pressure canners, but currently it's down to either the Presto or the All-American.

The Presto 23-quart is generally regarded as the "best buy". Price is excellent, long-time tested reliability and easy availability of parts. This size can also double as a boiling water bath with room for quarts.

The All-American is heavier and designed with a machined edge so no gasket is required. I'd call it the "Rolls-Royce" of canners. It is, however, much more expensive than the Presto and seldom comes on sale.

Carol

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

As Carol said, lots of discussions here about recommended pressure canners. I linked just a few of them below.

You only have 3 brands to choose from - Presto, All American, and Mirro. The Mirro are no longer recommended because since the company was sold the quality has declined greatly. So it comes down to Presto vs. All American and how much you want to spend.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: pressure canner discussions