Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crushed versus water-packed timing

Posted by Putyourshovel (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 16:28

I ask myself this question every year, and thought this season I'd ask it here:

I process tomatoes either following the crushed tomato recipe, or the tomatoes packed in water (hot-pack). To me, these end up looking nearly like identical products, but the processing time is SO different.

I know one issue for me is that I use a bunch of different tomato varieties, so I end up quartering (or even Eigth-ing) large tomatoes, and I almost never have a jar with whole smaller fruit, so maybe that's why the end product is so much the same for me. Since this is the case, and I don't really care about how they look (I just use for stews and soups), I end up doing crushed 99% of the time now, because of the shorter processing time.

Just wondering the rationale behind the timing? Is it because whole fruit would be denser? I try to be pretty meticulous about following approved recipes, and every year I have a nagging worry that I might be doing something wrong. I also like to know the "why" behind instructions because I feel more comfortable with the process. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crushed versus water-packed timing

Crushed Tomatoes is 45 mins for quarts.
Whole or halves packed in water is 45 mins for quarts.

So specifically what set of instructions and what time difference are we talking about?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning Tomatoes instructions

o

Sorry, I should have added this was the ball book of home preserving. You're right they aren't that different (mine is 40 versus 35 minutes for pints).

I guess I'm looking at the No-added liquid recipe, which is 85 minutes! My crushed tomatoes have no added liquid, so is the difference the density of the jars?

o

I think perhaps you are reading the wrong instructions for what you are doing or mis-understanding the terms/labels?

Crushed Tomatoes (with no added liquid) is 35 min for pints.

Whole or Halved Tomatoes (packed in water) is 40 min for pints.

Whole or Halved Tomatoes (packed in tomato juice) is 85 min for pints.

Whole or Halved Tomatoes (packed raw without added liquid) is 85 min for pints.

So if you are doing Crushed Tomatoes with no added liquid then the processing time is 35 min for pints.

The rest of the times are for whole or halved tomatoes, not crushed. So yes the density in the jar would be much greater with much bigger solid pieces that the heat wouldn't penetrate as quickly.

But the Crushed Tomatoes instructions are very specific. They actually pulped with a mallet a few at a time, not just chopped in pieces.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Crushed tomatoes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here