Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Relish too thin?

Posted by balego (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 16:29

Hello, I have been enjoying reading the threads here the past few days, having found this forum when searching for canning info. I have not done any canning in about 20 years, until this past week. I have done some chili sauce, pickled hot garlic scapes, and bread and butter pickles in the last few days. Yesterday I made the Homestyle corn relish, following the Bernadin book recipe. I know I did everything according to the directions, but today upon checking the seals on the jars, I notice that the liquid in the relish is still quite thin. I used the flour/water instead of ClearJel. I cooked it for longer than the 5 minutes 'until desired consistancy', but I wasnt sure what the consistancy was supposed to be, assuming it would thicken upon sitting for a couple of weeks. I used thawed frozen corn. Will the liquid thicken or did I ruin the whole batch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Relish too thin?

We had our class preserve a similar recipe. They did not thicken it. It should not be "pasty" like. I think it is fine. It is not really thickened like a pie filling or anything.
If you want it thick, then thicken after you open it up.
Instant Clear Jel works great for that.

o

Since Linda Lou didn't mention it I assume the flour is ok to use in this recipe? I don't know the recipe so can't say but flour is normally not allowed in canned recipes.

But if it is too thin then just drain off a bit of the excess liquid after opening the jar. That is the standard solution. Or use the instant Clear Jel or add your thickener of choice AFTER opening.

Dave

o

Like Linda said, corn relish should be pieces of corn and chopped vegetables "swimming" in pickling brine; like a jar of very small corn shaped pickles LOL.

Use a slotted type spoon to scoop out the corn/veges when you use the relish. Delish on hambergers, hot dogs, sausage sandwiches, Cuban type ham sandwiches.

Sharon

o

The flour in that is safe, but I see no reason to add it. Nowdays it is recommended to use Clear Jel in it, though.
One of the very few thickened items safe to thicken before canning.
It is due to the high acid, the density, etc.
USDA has a similar recipe.

o

Thankyou for the responses. I'm pleased there is nothing wrong with the relish, I had just expected it to be thicker, like pie filling. I don't often have corn relish, but do like it so I wasn't sure what the consistancy of the brine should be when it goes into the jar. I will try the ClearJel next time I make it. Thanks!

o

No, should not be thick like that pie filling at all. It is like it was described, just a chunky kind of thing.
It is fine, I am sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here