Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momagain1

Hot sauces question

momagain1
12 years ago

I am having a very hard time finding recipes for

the long skinny chile peppers...

My hubby wants some hot sauce...but I am only finding recipes that are NOT BWB ..they are called "shelf" stable w/o processing...IMO I'm not going there...

have I missed a super simple hot sauce recipe here?

He loves franks hot sauce; but its not hot enough for him. He loves all those really wild names such as "Kick 'yer arse" hot sauces..

his favorite is scorned woman..ingredients are:

vinegar, water, peppers (aged tabasco, red, black, habanero and jalapenos), Lemon juice, salt, pepper and stuff I cant pronounce lol...

Can anyone point me to a super hot recipe we can make at home..preferably a BWB method!

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Are you looking for a true "sauce", a chopped & pureed mixture of peppers and vinegar etc. or just a pepper flavored vinegar like some folks call "sauce"?

I agree there are no shelf-stable safe ones without processing. Even with straight vinegar and no water I'd still want the vacuum seal from processing.

So, depending on which sauce you want consider these suggestions.

1) see the prior discussion linked below for some recipes. Zabby posted a good one from Jean Andrews I like that I use 5% red wine vinegar instead and I BWB process for 20 mins. Not an official approved recipe but I'm comfortable with it.

2) then there is the NCHFP Pepper Onion Relish that can be pureed AFTER opening. We sub all hot peppers for the sweets and leave out the sugar.

3) consider using fermented peppers instead with whatever recipe you like for a very different taste.

4) for hubby - use hotter peppers than the red chilies. Habaneros or even the Blut Jokia.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous discussion recipes

• skeip
    12 years ago

I just got this recipe and haven't tried it but it sounds good. I think it came from one of the GW forums, and if it's your recipe, please take credit for it, I'm sorry I don't remember who's it is. I don't know why you couldn't sub a hotter pepper than Jalapeno.

GREEN DRAGON SAUCE
    20 Jalapenos, stems removed, rough chopped (2 1/2 cups)
    1 onion, chopped
    3 or 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1.5 cups water
    1.5 cups white vinegar
    Combine the jalapenos, onion, garlic, salt and oil in a non-reactive saucepan over high heat. Saute' for 3 minutes. Add the water and continue to cook for about 20 minutes. Stir often. Remove from heat and allow to steep until mixture has cooled.

Place mixture in food processor and puree until smooth. With the processor running, pour the vinegar through the feed tube in a steady stream. Pour into sterilized pint jar and seal. Let age at least 2 weeks before using. Can be stored in the refrigerator up to 6 months.
    To can: Pour into clean hot jars [no need to sterilize jars if water bathed for at least 10 min.] and process in boiling water bath for 10 min.

Steve

• momagain1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dave; I think he'd like either one.

I'd prefer one I can put in 1/2 pints for him to use...

the one above w/the green dragon sauce; it doesnt say headspace ..
    I'm assuming 1/4 inch like other sauces such as tomato etc..

• vic01
    12 years ago

I have a question about the oil for frying if you are going to can this sauce. It sounds ok but what do the experts say? I'd hesitate to use the oil.

• skeip
    12 years ago

If I recall, the oil is an issue because it affects the density of the product and subsequent heat penetration while processing. This is a pretty inconsequential amount of oil as compared to the peppers and other liquids, and if you sauteed in a nonstick pan you could probably eliminate it completely.

Steve

• momagain1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bumping as I'm looking to make this today or tomorrow..

what is the consensus for the oil in the green dragon sauce??

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Well the oil in the Green Dragon sauce isn't the only issue with that recipe. Since we don't know the source I can only guess that it sounds like one of the many recipes folks on the Hot Peppers forum make up. I wouldn't can it. It would be for 3 weeks in the fridge or frozen, not canned.

It is lots of low-acid foods, the oil, has only the minimal recommended acid added and no processing.

Your choice.

Dave

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

> for hubby - use hotter peppers than the red chilies. Habaneros or even the Blut Jokia.

What I like about many of the very hot peppers is that you can add a small amount to a recipe and not overpower the taste of the other ingredients. Nothing like a capsaicin rush. I'm a big Bhut fan:

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

I made a hot sauce last weekend - won blue ribbon in today's Grange fair (along with all my other submissions - jams, jellies, preserves). The recipe is in The Joy of Pickling (one of my favorite canning books).

4.5 lbs of tomatoes, coarsely chopped (I peeled mine, was about 7 C liquid volume) or 3.5 C tomato puree

2C seeded and minced red chile peppers (I only used 1/2C of Hinkelhatz, Thai, and cayenne, and left the seeds in, not hot enough for DH but pretty good - use more peppers and/or hotter ones to taste, up to the 2C)

3.5C white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, 5% acidity

6 garlic cloves, mashed

2 tsp pickling salt

1. In a nonreactive saucepan, bring to a boil the tomatoes, peppers, and 1.5C of the vinegar. Boil until reduced by half.

2. Puree the mixture, add garlic, salt, and remaining 2C of vinegar (I subbed 1/2C of lime for 1/2C of vinegar). Boil, stirring often, until it's as thick as you like.

3. Ladle the sauce into pint or half-pint mason jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Process for 15 minutes in BWB. Or pour into sterile bottles, cap or cork, and store in the refrigerator.

Makes about 2 pints (I got 2.5 since I like it thin, didn't reduce much in step 2.)

Then there's this one in the newer edition of the book (thanks kayskats for looking it up for me):

first, you make brined peppers --page 71 --
    2 pounds ripe peppers, hot or mild, stemmed and halved but not seeded
    5 tbsps picking salt
    2 quarts water
    >put the peppers into a jar with a capacity of about 3 quarts. Dissolve the salt in the water and pour 1 quart of the brine over the peppers. Push a gallon-size freezer bag into the mouth of the jar, pour the remaining brine into the bag, and seal the bag. let the jar stand at room temperature.
    >the next day, check to make sure that the brine covers the peppers. If it doesn't, make and add more brine -- same proportions.
    >after a few days the brine should begin to look a little cloudy. If a scum develops in the jar, skim it off, rinse off the bag and replace the bag carefully.
    >after three weeks, begin the testing the peppers (carefully if they are hot). when they are as sour as you like, drain the brine into a non reactive saucepan, bring it to a boil, skim off the scum and let the brine cool. Put the peppers into a clean jar and pour the cooled brine over them over them. Tightly cap the jar and refrigerate. The peppers should keep in the refrigerator for several mnths.
    now you go to page 339
    if you want to make a relish .about 3 cups, yield...
    2 quarts of brined peppers with seeds.(Since she says use the peppers, I'm sure you drain and save the brine))
    In batches, whir the peppers in a blender to a mash, stop before you have a puree. transfer the mash to jars, cap tightly and store in refrigerator. should keep several months.
    if you want a smooth hot sauce (no info on yield)
    Put the mash through a fine disk of a food mill ... to remove the skins and seeds. If you wish, you can thin the sauce by using a little of the pepper brine or some vinegar. Transfer to jars or bottles, cap tightly and store in the refrigerator ... will keep several months.

• vic01
    12 years ago

I'm one of those folks on the hot pepper forum but I come over here for expert advice and I send the rest of them as well for the safest, up to date way to preserve food. If it's not here or in the Ball Blue Book I am not likely to make it.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert