Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best tomatoes for making salsa

Posted by guysmom z9CA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 16:32

What kind of tomatoes make the best salsa, the big beef steak type or the paste type tomatoes? I have an abundance of big beefsteaks right now and I'm wondering how I could use them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best tomatoes for making salsa

Any tomato can be used for salsa and many feel the more different varieties used, the better the salsa. ;) And a mix of different color varieties makes it even more attractive. No reason at all why you can't use beefsteak type fruit.

Dave

o

Whatever is ripe when I am making salsa goes into the pot. I have plenty of romas but lots of others too...

o

When I use the bigger tomatoes, I like to drain off some of the extra liquid, otherwise the salsa can get watery. A mix of several kinds of tomatoes can give a greater depth of flavor.
Donna

o

I agree, whatever is ripe is what I use. I never grow the paste type tomatoes, I don't like the flavor as well.

I mostly grow the old fashioned "field" tomatoes like Rutgers and Bonny Best. I just peel them, cut them in half and use my thumbs to scoop out some of the seeds and goo, then chop up the meaty part of the tomato. I cut the halves into pretty big chunks and that's what I use for salsa.

I like mine thick and chunky, not smooth.

Annie

o

Use whatever you have. I mix mine up using half paste (Striped Roma) or drying tomatoes (Principe Borghese) and half mixed heirloom and field tomatoes (Rutgers), give or take. I also drain off the juice collected over a bowl when I cut up the toms (the meat goes in a colander to collect more juice). Then I cook the liquids down to about half and put it back into the main pot. I've also used tomato juice that I had canned a few years back, boiled it 10 min, added a tad of lemon juice and used that as a substitute for the sauce and paste the original recipe called for. Much more intense tomato flavor. Don't worry - Annie's perfect recipe will give you a wonderful salsa every time. I've even used all yellow and orange tomatoes and juice and though the color is different - it is still wonderful.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here