Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumber Marmalade

Posted by Kali615 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 16:37

Hi Everyone,

I am in the same boat as I am sure some of you have found yourself one year or another. I finally have that bumper crop of cumbers! Yeah! Only, I have now done everything I need to do with them, pickled, relished, eaten sandwiches, cucumber salad, lunch today was sliced tomatoes with a bit of goat cheese and sliced cucumbers with a bit of hummus. My kids are going to start throwing cucumbers at me or stealing them from the garden and feeding them to the groundhogs to hide them.

So I am searching the net for other things that may be of interest that I can possibly can and save till later (we can only eat so many pickles and so much relish in a year.

I come across many, many recipes for cucumber marmalade. It seems to have been a thing, found old write ups in papers from back in the day with similar recipes, only I can't seem to find an "approved" recipe.

I am a by the book type of preserver. I don't care about my cukes as much as I do making sure I don't harm my small kids, so I want some advice. Am I just missing this recipe somewhere? Is there an approved version out there I can use? Is there a reason it is not in a Ball book somewhere?

Here is one version I have found of many:

� ZUCCHINI PICKLESPLUM OATMEAL BREAD �
CUCUMBER MARMALADE
August 25, 2010 by Wayward Seed Farm
CUCUMBER MARMALADE

2 cups shredded cucumber, peeled and seeds removed
4 cups of sugar
3 oz. liquid pectin
2 Tablespoons lime zest
1/3 cup lime juice

Combine all but pectin, and bring to rolling boil for 1 minute. Add pectin, skim off foam, and stir for 5 minutes.

Ladle into prepared jars, and process in hot water bath, for about 10 minutes.

Thanks in advance,
Kali

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumber Marmalade

I don't know about cucumber marmalade, but have another suggestion, cucumber frozen slushes.

I don't follow a recipe and you can adjust to taste, but this is a way to serve up a lot of cucumbers without any use of the stove.

Peel and cube a volume of cucumbers. Freeze until not quite ice hard. Toss into a blender with lime juice (or lemon, or a combination), sugar or sweetener to taste, and ice cubes. About 3 parts cucumber to 1 part ice. Buzz it together, serve in a glass with a straw or ice teaspoon. This drink accepts alcohol, too, if you like.

Quite refreshing for summer.

A sprig of mint on top is nice.

o

I have PLENTY of cucumbers. I will try the cucumber slushies also. My kids will probably love them and not even realize they are cucumbers---- insert evil laugh---Thanks for the tip!

o

Thank for the tip Matthias. So far we have been able to keep up with our cucumbers, but I foresee the overwhelming glut in about a week. I think I will freeze cucumber cubes, and throw a couple in each time I make smoothies.

o

How about a cucumber salsa? There is a fiesta salsa in the ball complete book of home preserving. I'm going to try it this year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here