Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matersingarden

Favorite Pepper Jelly?

matersingarden
16 years ago

I'm looking for a good pepper jelly recipe, I've tasted a few and I know they vary greatly. If you have a favorite please share.

Thank you

Comments (9)

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Here's my two favorites:

Hot Pepper Jelly

This recipe was adapted for canning. The recipe comes from Jambalaya, Crawfish Pie, File Gumbo by Joan Zeringue Robbins, Janice Zeringue Hymel and Winona Zeringue Champagne.

Ingredients

½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
    ½ cup finely chopped fresh hot green pepper, such as jalapeno or serrano
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    6 ½ cups sugar
    1 package (4 oz) pectin (Certo or Ball)
    4 drops green or red food coloring

Combine peppers, vinegar, and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add pectin and food coloring. Boil for 1 minute. Pour, boiling hot, into hot jars, leaving ¼ inch head space. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.

Hints tips tricks and how to cheat
    For a milder pepper jelly, use ¾ cup bell pepper and ¼ cup hot peppers. For hotter pepper jelly, use ¾ cup hot peppers an ¼ cup bell pepper. Hotter peppers like cayennes and habaneros can be used instead of jalapenos.
    Habanero Gold Jam

To tell you the truth, this sounded a little frightening to me. Then I tried it. ItÂs delicious! The habaneros give you a warm sensation. No, theyÂre not going to hurt you! The apricots and the red peppers help to give the jelly a sweet finish. Makes 6 half pint jars. This recipe has been on the internet for a couple of years now. This was posted by Annie on www.gardenweb.com the Harvest forum.

1 cup minced dried apricots (â" dice)
    Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.
    1 ¼ total cups minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (â" dice), approximately half-and-half.
    ¼ cup Habanero peppers; Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to ½ cup and reduce red sweet pepper/red onion combination to 1 cup total.
    1 ½ cups white vinegar
    6 cups sugar
    1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin
    Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other > non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight. Stir occasionally if convenient. Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe. (I've used as little as an hour without noticeable problems. Annie)

Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute.
    Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. (I did need to skim a bit.) Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids (at Camp we let it set about 10 minutes and I didn't have to mess around getting the peppers suspended in the jelly, it got thick enough to keep the suspension) Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands on finger tight. Place in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

• ilovepoco
    16 years ago

What color is the jelly if you don't use the food coloring?

Susan

• booberry85
    16 years ago

I don't remember what color the jelly is without food coloring. I've always used it!

• daria
    16 years ago

I've made the Certo hot pepper jelly recipe (similar to the first recipe here) and I don't put in the food coloring. The jelly takes on some of the pepper colors, and usually turns out pinkish for me. It also has beautiful flecks of peppers in it, if you use several colors they all show (red, yellow, green).

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

The Habanero's gives a lovely golden color to the Jam. You could add some yellow food coloring if you want. I always remove the seeds and veins from the Habanero's first so the jam is not over powering. It's up to you, we love it with cream cheese on a bagel.

Linda P

• matersingarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That sound "delish"!
    I have a question about the liquid pectin, I have never used it (I use powder). Is it hard to find?
    Have you ever used a red bell pepper?
    I would like to make ALOT of jelly this weekend and I'm looking forward to it!!!!

• booberry85
    16 years ago

You can usually find liquid pectin right next to the powder pectin in the grocery store or where ever you buy pectin. Yes, it's a red bell pepper that I use in the Habanero Gold. Red bell pepper can be substituted for the green bell pepper in the first recipe.

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

This is my favorite Pepper Jam recipe.

12 Sweet red peppers [ you may add a few red jalapenos for heat]
    1 Tbls. canning salt
    2 cups white vinegar
    3 cups sugar

Remove seeds from peppers and put through food processor. Don't over process. Place in bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let stand 2 hours. Drain.
    Place in stainless steel clad bottomed cook-pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Cook slowly and stir until consistency of jam. This may take 1/2hr. to 45 min. Seal in sterile jars. Process 10 min in HWB.
    Yield: 6 or 7 half pints.

Great with creme cheese and Ritz crackers.

Another Pepper Jam recipe

6 large red peppers.
    5 red hot peppers [seeds removed]
    1-1/2 cups white vinegar.
    3 cups sugar.
    1/2 cup apple juice concentrate.

Chop peppers in food processor to desired consistency
    Add all ingredients to cook pot.
    Cook and stir until it looks like jam. About 1/2 hour.
    Seal in sterile jars.
    Process 10 min. in HWB
    Yield: 4 or 5 half pints.

Great with creme cheese and Ritz crackers.

• trixietx
    16 years ago

This is my favorite, it always gets rave reviews. It is so pretty in the jar and so easy!

1/2 c. fresh jalepenos (I use a blend of jalepenos, serano, habaneros, pequin and tabasco peppers or whatever I have growing.)
    1 lg. red bell pepper
    2 c. apple cider vinegar
    1 1/2 c. dried apricots
    6 c. sugar
    1 (3oz.) pkg. liquid pectin
    Coarsley chop seeded peppers and apricots in food processor.
    Combine all ingredients, except pectin in large pan. Bring to a boil, boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 2 minutes. Stir in pectin. Ladle in jars and seal.
    Makes 7 half pint jars.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022