Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

Apple syrup?

Nancy
10 years ago

I've seen recipes for canning berry syrups, but can't find anything on cinnamon apple syrups for canning. I have a recipe for apple syrup, but it is only for a small amount & doens't say anything about canning it. Is there a reason for that? Seems like it would be safe, lots of sugar. Probably a dumb question, but I just don't want to go to the work of canning something & find out it's all wrong.

Comments (7)

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

To Prepare Fruit Puree:
    Sort, stem, and wash ripe fruit or thaw frozen unsweetened fruit; crush fruit thoroughly; measure crushed fruit. Add 1 cup boiling water to each 4 cups crushed fruit and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer to soften--about 5 for soft fruits...about 10 minutes for firm fruits like cherries and grapes. Press through sieve.

SYRUPS MADE WITH PUREE
    4 cups puree
    4 cups sugar
    1/2 package or less powdered pectin (if desired)
    3 or 4 Tbsp lemon juice (if desired)

1. Mix puree, sugar, pectin and lemon juice.
    2. Bring to boil and stir for 2 minutes (boil till jelly thermometer reaches 218F).
    3. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and pour into 1/2 pint or 1 pint jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
    4. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
    5. Remove from canner and cool.
    6. Check lids, label, and store in cool, dry place.

To Prepare Fruit Juice:
    Sort, stem and wash ripe fruit or thaw frozen, unsweetened fruit; crush fruit thoroughly. Place crushed fruit in dampened jelly bag and drain. For clearest juice, do not press bag to extract juice. For firm fruits, heat is needed to start flow of juice. Add about 1/2 cup water to each 3 cups crushed fruit. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Place hot fruit in dampened jelly bag; drain.

SYRUPS MADE WITH JUICE
    4 cups juice
    4 cups sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice (if desired)
    1/2 package or less powdered pectin (if desired)

1. Mix juice, sugar, lemon juice and pectin.
    2. Bring to boil and boil 2 minutes.
    3. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and pour into 1/2 pint or 1 pint canning jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
    4. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes. Remove lid,let stand another 5 min.
    5. Remove from canner and let cool.
    Just add cinnamon to this and it will be fine.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much Linda lou! This is perfect. When I was a child I watched my mother can, & a few years later when DH & I didn't have much money I had a garden & canned some. I know now I canned some things I really shouldn't have according to today's rules. They tasted good & we never got sick, but I figure no need to take chances. Just the last couple of years got back into some canning, & feeling a bit more insecure about it. I've been sticking to fruits & jams so far, but may venture a bit more. I appreciate your help.

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

You are welcome. Once you start eating home canned foods the stuff from the store no longer tastes as good. I also think glass makes a huge difference in flavor. Besides, I think the food looks so nice in the jars !

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

I make fruit syrups all the time. Without a specific recipe. I made a really wonderful apple cinnamon last fall. I boiled all my apple peels and cores with a couple cinnamon sticks, then strained out the juice. For every cup of juice, I added 1/2 cu of sugar. S it was 2 parts juice to 1 part sugar. Boiled that until it hit 220 on my candy thermometer. Hot pack into pint jars and bwb for 10 minutes.

I pretty much follow the same procedure for other fruits. Pear peelings and cores. Peach peels and pits. Pineapple cores. The peach is really amazing if you had a bit of amaretto to the peach juice. And the pineapple is great if you use half brown sugar.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Pixielou, thanks so much, I'm getting a bunch of apples given to me in the near future. I didn't even think about using the peelings/cores for that. I've always just used the jelly recipe but didn't add pectin.

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Ngraham - sorry about that. 219 is syrup and 220 is jam. I could never get the right consistency trying the plate test, so found the candy thermometer gives me the right temp and right consistency.