Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenscott_gw

Ball Sweet Pickle Mix

Jenscott
16 years ago

I am making my first batch of Linda Lou's Sweet Pickle Chunks. Today is day 5. I've been everywhere looking for pickling spices. The grocers act like they have no clue what I'm talking about. Even the home storage places tell me they don't carry it.

I did find an 8 oz. package of Ball's Sweet Pickle Mix, which is a powder. The ingredients listed are salt, natural flavors and extractives of turmeric. That's not very helpful.

Can I use this product in place of pickling spices? If so, do I just mix the powder into the syrup, or do I still use cheesecloth?

I've got to do syrup today, so I need to figure something out.

Comments (5)

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

Goodness, that is a problem. I have never heard of a store not having pickling spices. They are here with the regular spices and also in the bulk section of my grocery store.
    I don't think the Ball mix will taste the same at all.
    You can make your own pickling spice.
    HOMEMADE PICKLING SPICE
    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Spices
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 tb Mustard Seed
    1 tb Whole Allspice
    2 ts Coriander Seeds
    2 Whole Cloves
    1 t Ground Ginger
    1 t Dried Red Pepper Flakes
    1 Bay Leaf, crumbled
    1 Cinnamon Stick (2 inches)
    Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight jar
    or container. Use in favorite pickle recipes.

Yield: 1/3 Cup

• ilovepoco
    16 years ago

Penzey's is a great Web source for herbs and spices. Very fast shipping. They have many retail stores too. It's worth getting on their catalog mailing list - always some good, quick recipes, even if you don't use their featured spices!

Just a satisfied customer of many years :o)
    Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Penzey's pickling spice

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Here's a site with some other pickling spice mixtures. There are lots of alternatives out there to suit your preferences and what's already in the cupboard.

Like Linda Lou, I'm amazed the stores don't seem to carry it, but there are lots of online merchants who do. I buy in bulk and keep it in the freezer.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickling Spice Recipes

• Jenscott
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help everyone! I went ahead and made my own for now. I had to borrow some cloves and use powdered allspice, but I think it should turn out okay.

My neighbor does canning and she told me some stores that carry pickling spice around here. But apparently you can't find it during pickling season because everyone sells out. That makes sense. I noticed even the Farmer's Market was having trouble keeping dill stocked. All the picklers come in and buy bulk quantities, so they sell out quickly. It's a good thing I don't need dill! I had to go to four different stores just to find pickling salt for my sweet pickles!

I will probably just order what I need for the next batch online so I don't have to compete with all the other canners for supplies!

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

The mix is a blend of common spices used for sweet pickles. They flavors are celery, mustard seed, allspice, clove, dill and a few others. Some mixes contain sugar too, but they ALL contain salt. If your using the mix, be sure to taste the liquid before adding to the cukes. if the cukes were soaked in salt, you may find the mix is a bit too strong as to salt. To make a quick pickling spice mix, start with equal parts of mustard seed, dill, and celery seed (all whole). Add a few whole allspice berries and a few whole cloves. Also, cinnamon stick broken into pieces, and some dried ginger, and even coriader seed. Simmer these spices in vinegar with a little water added, for about half an hour or more. They would normally be placed in a cloth bag. If you have no bag, just add the spices to a saucepan and add the vinegar and a bit or water. Cover and simmer for the time mentioned. Pour out the spice 'broth' into a strainer and then if you want less solids, pour it through a coffee filter set inside the strainer. What you will get is a spice base similar to the mixes. As mentioned above several spice houses make blends too. Sometimes people don't like a particular spice so they leave that out. Clove is one I don't wish to have a lot of in my brines. When my mom used the pickling spice mixes that Durkees made, she used to pull out the red hot peppers in there. Mrs. Wages also makes a pickling spice blend.