Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcstoehr

Can I leave the peach skins on?

tcstoehr
17 years ago

If it will work, I want to can my peaches with the skins on.

Peeling is such a bore. Besides, aren't all the vitamins and minerals supposed to be in the skin?

Will I end up jars full of wet peach fuzz?

Or any other nasty problems?

I ate some canned peaches from a couple weeks ago and there was an occasional bit of skin here and there. It didn't seem like a problem at all. But the the whole peach unpeeled?

Comments (19)

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Peel the peaches. The peels on foods is what harbors bacteria.

• tcstoehr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I didn't peel my apricots or sweet pickles or tomatoes or appples. Is there something about peaches that makes bacteria more problematic? Are they hiding in the fuzz? Isn't the bath canner processing supposed to terminate them regardless?

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

The peach peels are going to make for a very stringy product with lots of skins. Dipping the peaches in boiling water for about 1-2 minutes, then into cold water will help to remove the skins very easily. I know, I just did two dozen of them tonight. Apricots are hard to peel and because the skins are less dense, they usually leave them on. Tomatoes can also have the skins left on, but these tend to get very 'splintery' in a sauce, so I remove them along with the seeds. I never peel a cuke for pickles, nor do I use those big waxy cukes for anything. When I attempted to peel the pluots, tonight, I was unable to as they were very difficult to remove and were lots thinner than a peach skin. Besides that, they seem to have the same characteristics as an apricot, whos skins are quite thin and tender. My fruits didn't get any sprays of any kind. I do insist on using ascorbic acid however as its very good at keeping the bright color of peaches.

• aberwacky_ar7b
    17 years ago

I leave the peach skins on (washed thoroughly) for jam. The peaches get finely chopped in my food processor, so toughness isn't an issue, and the red flecks are lovely.

For canning slices and halves, though, I peel.

Leigh

• afeisty1
    17 years ago

I freeze the peach peels in freezer bags to use in shakes and smoothies.

• tcstoehr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the responses, I have much to consider. 8^)
    By the way, last night I had sweet pickles with my canned peach halves. Very interesting and tasty combination.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

I always peel my peaches just because I can't stand that fuzzy stuff. Ugh. Like Linda Lou, I'm always concerned about pesticides, I don't grow my own and I know they spray regularly in the commercial orchards.

Annie

• James McNulty
    16 years ago

If skins don't come off readily, I fugure how to use them blended in the food processor with the skins. Jam is always make with peach skins. If I want hunks of peaches mixed in, I'll just peel that portion. The bacteria part is something I never thought of. I wash everything well however and properly process. Regards - Jim

• PRO
    Steven Ripple
    8 years ago

You're misinformed! It has nothing to do with bacteria! It's the texture. There are millions of bacteria on a fruit, some inside too. Peeling them, will automatically mix some into the fruit or vegetable. Stems on cukes are usually cut off because of bitterness which is sometimes high in the stem end. It's the processing that incapacitates bacteria. Most bacteria are not bad - many are beneficial, and most are just there.

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

<You're misinformed! It has nothing to do with bacteria! It's the
    texture. There are millions of bacteria on a fruit, some inside too.>

Thanks for sharing your personal opinion on this issue even if it is a 8 year old discussion. I agree that failure to peel will have a detrimental effect on the texture, however there is ample research to support the claim that peeling removes not only any pesticide coatings but the majority of the bacteria as well.

Peeling or not remains a personal choice but peeling is strongly encouraged for several reasons.

Dave

PS: and jam is NOT always made with peach skins. The majority of peach jam recipes call for peeling the fruit first.

• dinesharma
    6 years ago

@digdirt2 you are trying to quote science without actually presenting the evidence. Link at least one research report, that supports your claim. Even if the skin contained all the bacteria, wouldn't the cooking process kill them?

• digdirt2
    6 years ago

"@digdirt2 you are trying to quote science without actually presenting the evidence. Link at least one research report, that supports your claim. Even if the skin contained all the bacteria, wouldn't the cooking process kill them?"

Actually I was not "quoting science". I just mentioned that " ample research [exists] to support the claim that peeling removes not only any pesticide coatings but the majority of the bacteria as well". Links to much of that research has been posted on this forum numerous times, is detailed in the USDA Guidelines [The USDA Complete Guide says, “Most bacteria, yeasts, and molds are difficult to remove from food surfaces. Washing fresh food reduces their numbers only slightly. Peeling reduces their numbers greatly.”] for home food processing, is listed on the NCHFP website, and is readily available on the web to anyone who chooses to look for it.

And there is also ample research to support the claim that many different strains of bacteria and fungi are NOT killed by simple cooking (whatever that means) but are only killed by pressure processing at 240+ degrees for a period of time. Think about it. If If simple cooking killed all bacteria then we could safely BWB process anything. Instead many require much higher temp than the 212 degrees achieved by boiling.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_home.html

Dave

• HU-213032010
    5 years ago

I made a second small batch of organic georgia peach jam with rosemary tonight... this batch I soaked the peaches in water for a half hour... and left the peel on the peaches... this batch turned out so much better than the one previously where I removed the peels... more peach flavor.,,it also has a gorgeous peachy pink color... I am not sure but it would seem to me the washing and all the high heat while cooking it and then canning it must eliminate most of the germs...

• digdirt2
    5 years ago

"I am not sure but it would seem to me the washing and all the high heat
    while cooking it and then canning it must eliminate most of the germs..."

And that is the problem - you cannot be sure. "Germs" aren't the issue, bacteria and fungi are the threats and as already discussed many bacteria and/or fungi are NOT removed by washing or killed by simple cooking. Examples of such include e. coli, salmonella, and listeria. You then proceed to seal them in a vacuum where they can grow.

But it is your choice, your risk to take. If you choose to take the risk the guidelines recommend not sharing or gifting the items.

Dave

• annie1992
    5 years ago

I agree, Dave, everyone should assess the risks and decide whether they are willing to take them. They must be informed of the risks, though, before they can make an informed decision.

This is a non-starter for me, I can't stand the texture of the peach skins anyway. Even after cooked I can imagine I feel the fuzzy fibers, LOL, and the skins leave paper-y little bits that I dislike in things like cobbler or pie. I don't like tomato skins in things either.

Annie

• JoJo W
    3 years ago

Jams and jellies have very high sugar content. The sugar binds with the liquid present making it difficult for microorganisms to grow. Canning, freezing and refrigerating prevent surface contamination, possible yeast or mold growth after the product is made.

• Dinah Jackson
    2 years ago

I NEVER peal a peach when I eat it fresh... Why ain't I dead ??? Hahaha !!!!!! 😂

• matthias_lang
    2 years ago

Dinah Jackson, that might be because, when you eat a fresh peach, you do not seal it up in an anaerobic vacuum for half a year first, so that pathogens have no chance to create a reservoir endotoxins and exotoxins before you eat it.