Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlsingardens

What to do with grapes

girlsingardens
17 years ago

I went to a neighbors today and picked som concord grapes. They are really yummy. Now I am trying to decide what to do with them. I have some grape juice and grape jelly left from last year so wondering what else we can make with them. I was thinking of maybe grape applesauce:) I have made pear, peach, strawberry and cherry applesauces. How about canning grapes whole, thought that sounded interesting. Any ideas would be great:)

Stacie

Comments (10)

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Grape Jam
    1 kg seedless grapes
    300ml water
    2 lemons
    1kg sugar

Wash and dry grapes thoroughly, and prick the skin of each grape with a needle. Peel the lemons, cut the rind very thinly, squeeze and reserve the juice. Put grapes into a saucepan with the water and lemon rind. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer gently about 15 minutes. Strain, reserving the liquid. Discard the lemon rind. Add sugar to the liquid and stir to dissolve. Add lemon juice and bring to the boil. Boil rapidly until it jellies when tested. Add grapes and boil another 5 minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool for 20 minutes before bottling.

Grape Butter
    6 cups purple grapes, stemmed
    water
    4 cups diced apples, unpeeled and quartered
    4 cups sugar

Cover grapes with water, bring to the boil and simmer 20 minutes, drain, reserving the juice for jelly. Place the grape pulp in cheesecloth and tie. Put the bag in the pan, add apples. Cover with water, bring to the boil, then simmer 20 minutes, drain, reserving the liquid. Discard bag with grape seeds. Put apple pulp through a sieve, then put the pulp in a saucepan, add sugar and heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Cook to desired consistency. Pour into clean jars, seal.

Grape Chutney
    10 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
    2 onions, finely chopped
    310ml balsamic vinegar
    30ml brandy
    2.25kg seedless white grapes
    350g demerara sugar
    2 teaspoons mixed spice
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    pinch salt

Simmer the apples, onions, balsamic vinegar and brandy together in a preserving pan for 30 minutes. Stir in the grapes, sugar, salt and spices and continue to simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours over a low heat until the mixture is thick and pulpy, stirring occasionally. Should the chutney still seem a little too liquid, boil on a high heat to allow the excess liquid to evaporate. Let the chutney cool slightly then spoon into warm, sterile jars. Seal then label and store in a cool, dark place.

Or you could dry them. Raisins!

• girlsingardens
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just found out that I have more grapes to pick. A couple down the road from us had a bunch of grapes and doesn't plan on using any of them, so they are free for the picking:) They are the seeded concord grapes but sure are tasty:)

Stacie
    who has more grapes than she knows what to do with:)

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

I just love the grape jelly. You can't ever make too much.

• fedup321
    17 years ago

wine?

• mrsgalihad
    17 years ago

Have you ever heard of grape pie? I never had till I met DH. Thought it sounded strange but it sure is yummy. I'm still experimenting with a recipie but I think thickening with tapioca is going to be the best way.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 years ago

Hi - this post caught my eye - I have a fairly new grapevine that is a very good producer, but the grapes are seeded & skins are VERY tart, so I don't eat too many of them as-is.

I've used my overabundance of fresh grapes to make fruit crisps (the kind w/ oats & nuts in the topping) - mixed w/ plums, pears, apples - whatever's on hand - wonderful! Pie is, of course, another option, but a bit more work.

I just split & seeded them, then treated them like any other fresh fruit.

• girlsingardens
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well somebody stop me:)

I went to my in laws today and along the way I found some wild grape vines and ended up with 2 walmart sacks full of grapes which boiled down into 8 cups of concentrated grape juice. I also ended up with 3 Walmart sacks of concord grapes and one of a larger grape, like concord but the bigger than marble size, almost the size of table grapes:). I have 8 half pints of grape jam done, and the grape butter is on the stove cooking down, the peach butter is in the oven cooking down, and the wild grape juice is ready to make jelly, and lastly I am cooking down the concords for juice:)

Stacie
    who never knows when to say enough is enough:)

• booberry85
    17 years ago

Here's a link to some posts from last year. It was entitled "Grape recipes - Sick of Jelly." The grape pie and the grape juice are both good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grape recipes

• trisha_51
    17 years ago

My dad used to make homemade grape ice cream. Yummmm!! It was a basic vanilla recipe with concentrated grape juice added.

• david52 Zone 6
    17 years ago

Has anyone tried to make fruit leather with them?