Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michca3

Mirro 22-quart Pressure Canner help!

michca3
11 years ago

hello! im sort of new to pressure canning...ive read up on it a bunch and have done it about 3 times.

BUT...im not sure if i am doing it right!? the mirro is so confusing.

its a new model i bought about a year ago. i understand its supper to "rock" or "hiss" (it hisses..or at least the new ones do) 3-4 times a minute.

does that mean rock (hiss) back and forth 3-4 times a minute...or rock (hiss) back and forth 3-4 SEPARATE times a minute??

this thing is so frustrating. im thinking about selling it and buying a presto with a gauge AND weights. i just want to make sure its coming up to pressure so my food doesnt spoil!

last night i did pasta sauce for 45 minutes at 10 psi and i sat right next to it and timed each hiss. it seems to hiss once for about 5 seconds every minute to minute in a half. i have a gas stove and it was on 6 which is the highest. (actually it has a power boil section for larger pots but it doesnt have numbers so i just stick to the numbers and it still comes up to pressure)

so since it was on the highest and it was hissing im ASSUMING it was ABOVE 10 psi..which is fine..meaning i killed all the bacteria and what not. but i just want to make sure my food wont spoil and that im doing it correctly... (all 10 jars did seal)

if not..someone please help! im so frustrated!

Comments (44)

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I have the Mirro 22 quart. Is yours the ball style weight that you have to screw on (threaded part onto the vent tube)? See link below with the full 15 lb. weights on.

If so, it needs to jiggle pretty consistently. I agree, until you get used to it, it's very frustrating. However, once you are, it nice to be able listen rather than watch the gauge all the time.

I just canned with my (newbie) daughter last week and she said it sounds like a horse trotting to her. Pretty good description. A "gallop", the heat is too high, a "walk", not high enough. She also said "it's the snare drum in a band", not the cymbals (too infrequent). OK, strange descriptions, but thought I'd share someone else's thoughts.

I have a tendency to run mine a little higher. A regular jiggle every 2-5 seconds. No, it doesn't overprocess as the excess is released through the weighted gauge.

Dave is right, you need to run it up to pressure empty or with jars of colored water to get the feel for adjusting your burners and to make sure you don't "siphon" by adjusting too quickly. If you really feel like this is a waste of time, try canning some jars of water for shelf stable storage in case of emergencies.

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirro

• AdamWV
    11 years ago

Hi, I'm new here but I have canned for a few years and learned some good information here just reading others information. I may be able to help with this one so I joined to try and help out. I use an older like 70's mirro-mattic canner. My grandmother gave me. It was in like new condition, I looked up a picture of yours, and mine operates basically the same way. I have an electric range, ughh but any way I turned the heat on high vented it for 10 minutes put the weight on then it jiggled a few times turned the heat down one notch on the stove almost no jiggling, turned heat back up no jiggling or very seldom. Went back reread manual refilled with water to correct level repeat entire process same thing happens, at this point I'm ready to throw canner beans small dogs (just kidding, love my dog) out in the yard, and buy a new gauge canner. I turned off the heat after the allotted time in Ball bluebook thinking I ruined all the beans I snapped and being throughly disgusted I thankfully started cleaning the kitchen, then I heard it jiggle then again and again while it was cooling. I had to much heat which I suspect is happening to you. The canner can put out enough steam on an electric stove top which generally isn't as hot as gas to keep a 10 lb weighted gauge suspended on the steam for almost if not all of the canning cycle, hence no jiggle noise if it is not slightly rising and falling a little. On the next load I turned heat on high vented 10 min put weight on let jiggle once turned stove knob down to three quarters jiggled and canned perfect the whole time. If steam is coming out but no jiggling this could also be your problem. When I found the sweet spot on my stove I put a tiny dot on the stove with some of my wife's nail polish, my Moms old trick, now it cans and jiggles great, load after load. please try this before increasing the heat, at the least you may blow an overpressure plug, I'm surprised I didn't. Any newer gas stove should have way more heat on a regular high setting than my old electric stove. My mirro is 22 qt. I hope this helps.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Adam, I have an older 22 qt Mirro that my sis bought new in 1972 - one thing I've found with it is that is has to be level to work flawlessly, off a little and that weight can hang up instead of dancing. I keep a small level in my canning supplies and use pennies under the burner ring if necessary - only once each canning session and before things are hot :)

My stove is about 10 yrs old, just a middle of the line Amana electric coil range, not great, not awful. Buying a canning element greatly improved any issues I was having with the heavy canner too. I think that element has paid for itself over and over in convenience.

• AdamWV
    11 years ago

Thanks for the leveling tip, I need to look into these canning burners, I've heard of them its good to know you really like yours. I hope the o.p. Got things figured out. It's not that it's hard, just takes some time to figure out the little things. My mom hadn't canned in over twenty five years when she started helping me and that was mostly over the phone.

• michca3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

okay forget the recipe..its in the freezer. im just trying to figure out how to work this thing still.

i may be getting too technical but i sat next to it with a pen and paper and a timer.

i started with the dial between 6 and HI and recorded it going off 9 times...how long it went off every (amount of) seconds.
    so here's my charts:

recorded for 5 minutes and 39 seconds with the dial between 6 and HI:
    1. went off for 13 seconds every 12 seconds
    2. 15sec/23sec
    3. 15sec/22sec
    4. 16sec/22sec
    5. 10sec/18sec
    6. 16sec/24sec
    7. 15sec/22sec
    8. 13sec/14sec
    9. 13sec/24sec

recorded for 5 minutes and 8 seconds with the dial on HI:
    1. went off for 19 seconds every 16 seconds
    2. 10sec/21sec
    3. 21sec/8sec
    4. 19sec/13sec
    5. 19sec/14sec
    6. 21sec/9sec
    7. 20sec/13sec
    8. 21sec/4sec
    9. 15sec/18sec

recorded for 5 minutes and 19 seconds with the dial right above HI (in the power boil section):
    1. went off for 30 seconds every 9 seconds
    2. 23sec/10sec
    3. 31sec/5sec
    4. 23sec/8sec
    5. 24sec/6sec
    6. 20sec/8sec
    7. 15sec/22sec
    8. 22sec/7sec
    9. 15sec/6sec

1. 27sec/9sec

so many numbers, my head is about to explode. the higher the dial was the more it went off...i stopped after an hour because i didnt want to run out of water....maybe ill go a little higher tomorrow or later today to see what it does.

does any of this sound correct? should i go higher? i just wish i had a gauge one so i know FOR SURE where the pressure is. im really just trying to get this down.

SOME DAY id like to correctly pressure can something and know for sure that i did it right.

11 years ago

The problem with wanting the gauge so you can know 'for sure', is that the gauges aren't always accurate. The weights are pretty much mistake proof.

Different stoves require different settings, generally, gas is easier to control than electric coil so you are in good shape there.

My weighted gauge canners are the old round style weights with different holes for 5, 10, 15 pounds. I'm assuming you have the newer three piece weight? If that's wrong, forgive me for adding to your confusion...

But it's my understanding that the newer style weight has more of a constant jiggle, rather than the one that picks up and dances 3 or 4 times a minute like my own.

I start my canner on High, let it vent, put the weight in place. When pressure has been reached, then I begin to turn it down. You'll need to practice with your own stove, because turning up and down isn't good and can lead to siphoning, so with a practice run or two you should be able to determine what lower setting on your own stove will keep a constant pressure in the canner.

There is a video here of a presto weight hissing/jiggling at 10 lbs pressure, weight of the style that is more constant motion than my own type...

Here is a link that might be useful: Utube Presto weight in action

• michca3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well i want the presto pressure canner that has a weight and gauge. and if you get it tested at your local extension office it should be working correctly.

and yes, i have a 3 piece weight set that do not screw on.

it was on high in the power boil section..vented it for 10 minutes then put on the weight and turned it down to right above the 6 before the HI..then went up from there recording the times and such to see how it would act. im not sure if its supposed to hiss the whole time or go on and off multiple times.

i wish someone with a mirro would record a video from venting up to the correct pressure so i can see what the heck it should be doing.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

It doesn't matter how long it "goes off", how many seconds it lasts is irrelevant. What matters is that it does go off - goes off and then stops, goes off and then stops, etc. several times (more than 3-4 times) a minute so approx. every 10-15 secs. Yes you are making it too technical, too complicated.

Let it "go off" continuously if you want. That is what Presto's do but Mirros don't need continuous. The only problem that can cause is that you might run out of water in the canner.

You do not need to sit by the stove with a stop watch. And as already mentioned, gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Weights are accurate. Gauges are not. Stick with your first chart and forget the duration seconds. They don't count

Dave

PS: It isn't physically possible for anything to "go off" for any of the times as listed in your second and third chart. If something is "going off" for 21 sec. then it can't do it every 8 sec. because it would be "going off" continuously.

11 years ago

OK, sorry, somehow I thought you had the Presto 3 piece weight, not the Mirro.

As said earlier, it's not going to cook at more than the weight you are trying to achieve, the motion of the weight will release any pressure above what is required.

I do have the older style Mirro weights, but even with jiggling more times than 3-4 per minutes, I've never come even close to running a canner dry, not even with processing tuna for 100 minutes. I tend to err on the side of rattling too frequently, over turning the heat down too low and having to raise it again, risk having 16 jars of tuna do some siphoning then having to scrub fishy jars and canner :)

If it moves, it has the correct amount of pressure to make it do so. If it moves gently (and isn't rocking hysterically) continuously, that may be fine for the newer style weight too, I'm sure Linda Lou has said she has found that 3 piece weight has closer to a constant motion than the older type. (Linda Lou, am I crediting you with that correctly?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirro 3 piece weight in action

• michca3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

guess i should have put that it hissed for 23 seconds and then stopped for 8 then hissed for 22 seconds and then stopped for 7 seconds and so on. those are just examples.

so i guess i need to turn the heat up more so it will hiss more times a minute because when i lowered it, it hissed way less.

im just trying to figure out how this thing works.

• michca3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I provided the charts just so you guys could kind of see what its doing. I've searched on youtube for videos but the Mirro's seem to work a bit differently, which is the confusing part. Having never seen what it's supposed to do and hearing what it is supposed to do confused the crap out of me.

The manual says one thing, the chick I called last year to see what its supposed to do said another thing and people that own the same one I do say another thing, so I'm getting mixed directions.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Try this. Think of it as a baby with a rattle in his hand and you want to teach him to count to 4 (the manual says 3-4 and the manual is valid, "some chick" isn't).

It makes no difference how long he shakes the rattle each time as long as he shakes that rattle 4 separate times in 60 sec. If he goes all the way up to 6 or 7 or 8 that's fine as long as he rattles it 4 times a min.

Many of us here have the exact same canner, including me, and have used it for years with no problems. Just turn on the heat, vent it for 10 min., put the weight on and let it come up to pressure. Once the weight begins to hiss regularly turn the heat down a bit - not much just a bit like 1/2-1 number on the dial - and start your timer. As long as it continues to hiss every 15 sec or so it is just fine.

It really is that simple.

Dave

• michca3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

..the chick worked for Mirro. I called the company.

And okay. I'll try a dry run tomorrow again and see if I can get it to hiss 4+ times a minute.

Thanks for the tips and such.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

.the chick worked for Mirro. I called the company.

Great, what did she tell you? If they are like the Customer Service reps at Presto they have no idea what anyone is talking about. All they seem to be able to handle is returns and refunds.

Dave

• michca3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well..I asked if it was supposed to be hissing because the manual said it was supposed to jiggle. She was I was doing it correctly if it was hissing. Never told me how often it should be hissing though!

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I just had a similiar experience with a brand new Mirro on Saturday (not mine, teaching someone else to can in their own canner).
    There are 3 separate weights (for 5, 10, 15 lbs.).
    We were doing green beans, below 1000 feet, so using 10 lbs.
    Gas stove (not my normal situation at home).

I, too, discovered the heat was actually too high. The weight would just sit there, then pop up and hiss violently, then drop back down and sit there until the pressure built up inside again.
    By turning the heat down (quite a lot actually, I think between 4-5 on her stove), the weight released the excess pressure more frequently, but for less duration each time.

I would definitely try it with an empty canner and use LOWER heat to see if that works better.

It's definitely frustrating until you get the hang of it and learn your canner and stove combo. Don't give up (or throw any produce or animals out the window....grin), it's worth it in the long run....just a learning curve we've all been through!

Deanna

• emmasgrandma
    11 years ago

So is this to mean that as long as its hissing, its ok??? mine is NOT jiggling?? Am confused, and definitely don't want to get sick...

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

So is this to mean that as long as its hissing, its ok??? mine is NOT jiggling?? Am confused, and definitely don't want to get sick...

No. Mirro canners (I have 2) will hiss, lift the weight a smidge and spin it slightly 3-6 times per min. when at pressure. (3 is the minimum number of times but more often is fine). It does not just hiss. There is some actual movement of the weight itself along with the hissing noise. And the hissing is not constant either. If it is then the heat is set way too high..

The terms jiggle, rock, spin apply to different brands of canners but all of them hiss out steam while moving. Mirros are more of the hiss and spin type movement.

If you would do the test runs with jars of water instead of food until you get it right then you don't have to worry about getting sick.

Dave

• emmasgrandma
    11 years ago

Thank you Dave! :) I have it! Just freaked out about getting botulism! :) Yet definitely want to can :)Any good websites anyone can recommend? I just ordered the Ball Canning book :)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Websites? NCHFP is the primary. freshpreserving.com is the Ball website and bernardin.ca is the Canadian equivalent.

Check all the discussions here about books and websites to avoid and which ones to use.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

• Reeney26
    11 years ago

I am a newbie to pressure canning, but eager to learn. I have been all over the 'net and these boards today, trying to make sure I have done everything correctly. Arggh! Still not sure what I am doing wrong!

I purchased my Mirro 22-qt pressure canner two years ago. (New) I am currently running a 'test' with unlidded jars with only water inside., filled about 2/3rds per qt. per jar.

Looking up information today, & consulting my manual, I found the following:
    * Inspect vent tube and weighted pressure control, check seal. (No gauge) Okey-dokey, all clear.
    * Vent on high temp for 10 minutes. Check.
    * Place 10lb weighted gauge to the second notch (not a 'screw-type' gauge)
    * I have recorded the time that each step was taken on my gas stove set on high. (I understand that density & volume in the canner - i.e. two layers of filled pints, etc., will affect the total time it takes for the pressure to build up.)
    * One post (another site) indicated that the reusable over-pressure (red) valve must eject fully before the the weighted gauge will begin to spin, hiss, or rock. The comment I read is that Mirro has not updated the manual to include canning specifications for this particular unit.

So far, my pressure canner has been hanging out at high heat for two solid hours and I see no spin, hear no hiss, and the pressure gauge certainly isn't rocking! The over-pressure button has not ejected.

My thoughts: I should have not "cheaped" out and used full jars with lids and rings to run this test.

My canner is defective?

Some type of operator error?

Bad seal?

Not enough BTU's on my gas stove to build up the pressure sufficiently?

The gist of it is, I paid good money for this canner. I have venison to process, and I need to find an answer to this. I have been to the http://nchfp.uga.edu/search.html
    and read all there is to read. This, and most websites refer you to the manufacturer's manual, but if the manual isn't correct, what good does that do?

Any feedback or comments are more than welcome. Thanks in advance for any help you may offer!I can hear rattling from the interior of the canner, but do not feel confident that pressure has been reached to safely can meat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirro Quick Look Manual

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Hi and welcome. First, jumping in with canning meat isn't the best way to begin. Any chance you can freeze it temprarily until you can get a handle on the canner?

Second, tests must be run with capped and sealed jars and some added food color to the water help. Using open jars accomplishes nothing really.

Third, can you tell us exactly which model number canner you have? There are different versions of the Mirro 22 qt.

Forth, if your canner actively vented steam for 10 mins. then there is an operator error either with putting the lid on correctly (so the lock can't engage) or putting the weight on incorrectly. Shut it down before it burns dry and ruins the canner, determine how much water is left in the canner compared to what you began with, and check the lid for proper placement.

How much water did you begin with in the canner? Was the water hot when you began or cold?

Then try again. If after 30 mins it still is not actively venting steam (with the weight off) then the problem is the stove.

What is your altitude? Does your stove normally boil water in a pan within a normal amount of time like say 5 mins?

Dave

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Is your weight the round ball that is composed of 3 pieces or the thick disc type with 3 different holes around the edge?

Dave

• Reeney26
    11 years ago

Sorry for omitting some important information. The weights for my canner are round, individual 5lbs, 10lb, and 15lb.

I have been BWB canning for years, and feel confident that I appreciate the safety measures involved with this process.

I am at 749 feet elevation, so the 10lb weight should be appropriate, although I have read on other sites that the 15lb should be used when canning meat.

When running the test last night, the remaining water was almost exactly the same as when I started. I do not believe that I have harmed the canner in any way (warped, etc.) and it has always been stored within the styrofoam and box in which it arrived.

If the reusable over-pressure valve releases steam, does that not indicate that the lid is secure and appropriately placed?

The water was cold when I started, and it was about 2.5-3" deep. I anticipated that it would take some time to bring it up to speed. So, on the advice of Dave, I am going to process colored water with lids and rings this morning and see if I can't get this thing to work!

My stove is quite antiquated, so it takes a bit longer (probably 10 min) to get a pan of water to boil.

I'll update the results later.

Thanks so much for the help!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

The weights for my canner are round, individual 5lbs, 10lb, and 15lb.

The 3 piece ball weight has to be pushed down and screwed onto the steam vent. Which ever parts you use doesn't just sit on the pipe but is screwed to it. Wear an oven mitt when doing it to avoid steam burns.

When the weight is properly applied to the vent tube the red over-pressure plug will not be releasing steam. The over-pressure plug only pops and steams when the canner is OVER-pressureized. It is a safety device.

Dave

• Reeney26
    11 years ago

Finally figured it out, folks! I think part of the challenge for me is that I did not realize that steam would emit (pretty violently) from around the handle where the red button is. Apparently, this button becomes fully ejected (pops up above the handle by 1/4" or so)when the canner is pressurized. That took a long time on my stove. I waited patiently and finally got that 10lb weight to spin & dance like I know it's supposed to. I think I need a service call for my stove, it seems there's not enough BTU output to get this thing rockin' and rollin' in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks, all, for your help! Oh, and the venison is canned & in storage! Thanks again!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

from around the handle where the red button is. Apparently, this button becomes fully ejected (pops up above the handle by 1/4" or so)when the canner is pressurized.

Ahh, that's why I asked you for the model number that you have. You are apparently referring to the lid lock, not the over-pressure plug.

Based on the info provided I can only hope that the venison was properly processed but strongly suggest no future processing of foods until you get a better handle on dealing with your canner.

Dave

• Reeney26
    11 years ago

Dave,
    Thanks for your input. Once I realized that *patience* with my old, sad stove was mandatory, everything proceeded exactly the way I had anticipated. The 10# weight did a little jig, spin, and a hiss 3-4 times per minute. I timed the processing as instructed. I feel confident that the venison I canned followed published guidelines. I apologize for the confusion (my manual!) caused in terminology! Thanks again!

• norwayaha
    11 years ago

I have a mirro m-0436 6qt with the 5-10-15 single gauge.

I keep reading that it is to "vent" for 10 minutes before putting on the weight. I have never done this I have always put in on first. Started with cold/luke warm water. Waited until the weight started to jiggle then set the time to what the canning book said. I am at about 330-350 foot sea level (I looked it up).

I almost always use the 10psi option. and precook the meat, drain the grease, then can it for 90 minutes. Allow the canner to cool, remove the weight, check the valve for steam, then carefully remove the lid.

Only once did my canner boil dry. Break the jars and break out the red thing leaving a hole in the lid of the canner. I did not know that it could be fixed so I scrapped it out. Started over with the above canner.

I have a 99% seal rate, with nothing going bad (that I know of) Not one of us has gotten sick either. I have recently started adding vinegar to the water since HARD water.

Having said ALL that do I need to allow it to vent for the 10 minutes you all are talking about? Please reply to the email below with canning in the subject line so I do not dump the email.

norwayaha@hotmail.com

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Yes you do need to vent - both before and after the processing. Otherwise air is trapped in the canner and it doesn't reach full temp.

Plus your 6 qt. is a cooker, not a canner, and is not approved for canning. It's size voids the recommended processing times as it heats up and cools down too quickly so the foods are not fully processed. See the NCHFP Guidelines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pressure Canning Guidelines

• norwayaha
    11 years ago

I bought my canner used and had no book to go with it. So I never had a clue to vent the thing. The times I watched grandma use it she never vented hers either, so that must be a newer idea (post-1990).

I will from now on vent for 10 minutes, then put on the jiggler.

11 years ago

The older canning books don't address venting, but important all the same. I have the original books to my 22 qt, and 8 qt Mirros, neither of them mention 10 minutes to vent.

But, you missed possibly what Dave pointed out about the size of your Mirro. I have a vintage Mirro 8 qt that doesn't fit the size guidelines for using as a canner, the 8 qt is just about an eyelash shy of the lid locking doing the test of holding 4 one quart jars - your 6 quart Mirro won't hold them either and really should be used for only cooking, not canning, food.

I have the original box my 8 qt was sold in, and it says 'Canner' in bold letters on the box. But, it doesn't meet current size guidelines, would not be considered safe.

• norwayaha
    11 years ago

I am canning in pint size jars. I realize that it is not considered safe. But for how many years were they used safely? Is this a new idea that it is not safe? Not trying to be stubborn trying to get smarter.

thanks

• norwayaha
    11 years ago

I also have a mirro M-0598-11. 8-Qt (7.6 liters) stamped 7 98 that does fit 4 quart jars and the lid locks.

Would this one be a safer choice to use? I am sorry for keep asking but I need to get this figured out before canning season is in full swing.

As people find out that I am canning they are giving me their old stuff. I am glad to have it if it works. But it is not worth getting sick.

However the newer canners look hard to work with which is why I like the mirro. I am comfortable with it.

Thanks so much! I have already learned a lot in a short time.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Is this a new idea that it is not safe?

No not at all. My 1972 edition of the BBB (oldest one I have) discusses the importance of canner size and its relevance to the processing times but if I recall correctly the specific size guideline was in either the 1984 USDA or the 1986 rules revisions.

Historically small pressure cookers, first released in late 1930's were never intended or used for canning. When pressure canners were first developed in the early 1900's and made available to the public they were huge things so the issue of trying to can in a small pressure cooker seldom came up and most home canners already had big canners.

It is your choice of course, your risk to take, as long as you understand that USDA makes it very clear that the published processing times are valid only if one uses a canner that will hold and process at least 4 quart jars. Those published times are computed based on the amount of time it takes for a canner that size to come up to pressure and to cool down.

The Mirro 12 quart is the smallest recommended. Otherwise the foods are considered UNDER-processed.

Dave

11 years ago

My eight quart Mirro might close on four 1-qt regular mouth jars, I don't have any so don't know that. I do know it won't close easily on four wide mouth quarts with the rack in place in the bottom. Comes very, very close, but not quite.

The time I tested it I was doing tuna (and no, not in quarts :)), I wouldn't have been comfortable/confident using it for those few jars over my last large canner load even though I could have finished almost 3 hours sooner.

• PirateJeni
    11 years ago

Wow.. I'm glad I read this thread. I think I'm heating my pressure canner too high.. It hisses the whole time. I have the Mirro 22 qt

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube vid of my weight.

• joann456
    9 years ago

I have a 22 qt Mirro. When I was pressuring some peas I screwed on the ball shaped weight. It didn't rock or move but it did hiss and steam did escape. I didn't see a pressure indicator. There is a red button but I thought it was a high pressure relief valve. The only things that concerned me were that the weight did not rock or move and that there wasn't a pressure indicator. How do I know for sure that my food was processed at the correct pressure? I followed all of the instructions.

• emmasgrandma
    9 years ago

Yes Joann456, as long as its hissing, its fine. Mine hisses and spins :)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Pressure canning foods without first understanding how your particular pressure canner even works is very risky.

How do you know for sure that they are safely done? You don't.

Dave

• TheAkDutchess
    9 years ago

New to this site, but I had similar problems with a Mirro Canner 12 qt. and realized that there was a little threaded ring that needed to be shoved into the weighted part before anything happened like rocking, dancing, jiggling, then screw the whole weight onto the steam vent. I don't know if it is supposed to come out but mine did. SO if you are not Screwing the weight onto steam vent it wont dance/jiggle only fall off when the pressure gets too high. :) hopefully this helps someone as the Mirro manual is horrible!

• Becky Fraser
    7 years ago

I bought a new Mirro this year, I've used a Presto for the 30 years before this. My Presto would rock and hiss continuously. My Mirro rocks and releases steam for about 5 seconds, then stops for about 5 seconds, the rocks and releases steam, and so on. It confused me VERY much, since it is different than what I was used to.

• Murphmobile
    7 years ago

TheAkDutchess fixed my problem! Greetings from Anchor Point (AK)!