Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
still new to canning - forgot a step

Posted by lolear 5b - Chicago (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 17:15

When I made my second attempt at canning (pear chutney - BBB) I neglected to remove the air bubbles prior to putting on the lids and processing. Everything seemed to seal fine. Will they be safe?

Thanks,
Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: still new to canning - forgot a step

Yes since it is an acidified food they will be safe. Depending on how and how long it is stored, you may get some discoloration of the top part as the air works it way up the jar but you can scrape that off when you open the jar.

A post-it-note with the basic steps stuck up right in front of where you are working can really be of help. But in time steps like removing the air bubbles will become second nature to you. ;)

Dave

o

I wondered about this too. I canned apple butter and apple sauce, and could not get the tiny bubbles out no matter how hard I tried. I would only create more bubbles - there are TONS in there!

o

Many times when you find lots of small air pockets like that and can't seem to remove them it means your food/sauce/etc. is a bit too thick.

That is a common problem with things like applesauce and butters as they can easily get cooked too long and end up too thick. It needs to be thin enough to 'burp' - to remove the air pockets easily. So next time you might want to consider putting it back into the pot and thinning it down just a little for better results.

Dave

o

• Posted by lolear 5b - Chicago (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 22:45

Okay, good. Phew!! Glad I won't be poisoning anyone... I swear I'm not a ditz.

o

This is a good lesson to learn, one we've all had to figure out. Fatigue is a huge factor in canning safety. No matter how pressured we are, we have to allow ourselves to stand back sometimes and just take a break. Otherwise we do dumb things.

Carol

o
New to Canning, too

I made some dill and garlic pickles this morning, and also forgot to let the air bubbles out. Do I need to throw the batch out? The lids popped, so I know they are sealed.

o

I made some dill and garlic pickles this morning, and also forgot to let the air bubbles out. Do I need to throw the batch out?

Just as indicated above, since this is an acidified food, yes they will be safe. That is assuming you used an approved and tested recipe? If you didn't then there is no way to assure their safety.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here