Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One and a half pint ball jars

Posted by sue_ct z6 CT (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 17:15

I bought some 1 1/2 pint jars a while ago simply because I sometimes have less than a full quart of tomatoes left for a batch, plus it is just me here so sometimes I could just use a little bit smaller portion to open for something. I used one that I processed with a batch of all quart jars of tomatoes. I think I pressure canned those. I did not realize until a while afterwards that the ball book says 1 1/2 pint jars are not recommended for the tomato recipes, just quarts and pints. Does anyone know why in heavens not? Do I really need to toss these and not use the rest of the jars? They are the same height as the Quarts just a little narrower, like the pints. Since they are neither taller nor thicker than the other sizes and I put the same amt of citric acid in them and processed them for the same amt of time as the Quarts, what could be wrong?

Scratching my head on this one...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One and a half pint ball jars

That Ball statement seems absurd to me. AFAIK, there's no reason in the world why you couldn't process a pint-and-a-half at quart times with no problem whatsoever. Can you provide the source (book & page #) so we can check out the precise statement?

Carol

o

Oops, my mistake, lol. It says not recommended for 1.5 L jars! 1.5 Liters would be larger than quarts, so that explains it.

o

OK. That makes sense. Still, it's always nice to get things cleared up. You're going to love those pint-and-a-halfs. I was so glad to see they're being reissued.

Carol

o

Ace has them on sale this weekend (only through tomorrow - don't think it includes Monday) 2 cases for $14. And Ball had a $1 coupon in Sunday paper a while ago (also one for Buy 2 get 1 free lids, but lids are half the price at WM they are at Ace).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here