Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vegetable soup

Posted by travisdunn none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 17:21

I am interested in using this recipe.Could you tell me if it would be safe to exchange the lima beans for another kind of bean like pole beans(kentucky wonder)or other beans for long term storage.

8 cups chopped, peeled, cored tomatoes (about 4 lb or 12 medium)
6 cups cubed and peeled potatoes (about 6 medium)
6 cups 3/4-inch sliced carrots (about 12 medium)
4 cups green lima beans (about 1-1/2 lb)
4 cups uncooked corn kernels (about 9 ears)
2 cups 1-inch sliced celery (about 4 stalks)
2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
6 cups water
Salt, optional
Pepper, optional
7 (32 oz) quart or 14 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

1.) PREPARE pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
2.) COMBINE all vegetables in a large saucepot. Add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3.) LADLE hot soup into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
4.) PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 1 hour for pints and 1 hour and 15 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vegetable soup

No problem subbing the green beans but that isn't nearly enough water for all those ingredients so density will be an issue with this recipe.

Soup guidelines call for pre-cooking the ingredients and then filling the jars 1/2 way with solids and the remainder of the jar with hot liquids for proper heat penetration.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Soups

o

Thanks Dave

o

Yes, you can substitute other types of green beans. Since this is a recipe from Ball/Bernardin, I doubt you have to worry about "density" issues. Methinks they have probably tested it.

o

Thanks Malna.14 pints cooling down in the pressure canner now.This canning was a lot of work but will be rewarding when I here the lids sealing going pop pop pop. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here