Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canning during a power outage?

Posted by luv2pepper 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 17:28

My power went out just as I was packing my last jar of peppers. Will I be able to save these and process them once power comes back up? Please help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canning during a power outage?

Pickled waiting on a BWB or plain waiting on the PC? Makes a big difference.

If pickled and if the power isn't out too long then I'd just go ahead and process then to get the vacuum in the jars. Not ideal but the vinegar is the primary safety factor. If the power is out for hours then the brine needs to be reheated.

If plain waiting for the PC then put them in the fridge till the power is back on. Then open the jars pour out the water, make new boiled water, reheat it so the jars are hot when they go into the PC.

Dave

o

Thank you Dave. It is a BWB,pickledand still no power. If the brine needs to be reheated then do I need to resterilize the jars too ?

o

No, jars never need to be sterilized if whatever they contain is going to be processed for 10 mins or longer. Pickle recipes are normally BWB processed for at least that long.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here